Author Topic: Benjamin Barraclough 1772 - 1840 Mirfield. Unwanted Will.  (Read 431 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Benjamin Barraclough 1772 - 1840 Mirfield. Unwanted Will.
« on: Tuesday 03 April 18 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

Does anyone have an ancestor, Benjamin Barraclough (or variant - often Barrowclough) baptised 1772 in Mirfield as an ancestor please?

He married Martha Armitage in 1793 also in Mirfield and he died in 1840.

I thought I was descended from his daughter Sarah (Sally) - as after my Sarah Barraclough's marriage, her eldest daughter was named Martha. However having obtained Benjamin's will - which is very informative -- I have discovered that HIS daughter, Sarah married someone else and was already deceased by 1840. Hence he is not my Sarah's father. Shucks!

I therefore have a will for Benjamin Barraclough (Barrowclough) of Mirfield going spare - it is very informative - lots of useful names including married names of deceased daughters. It also reveals that he married again after the death of Martha nee Armitage.

If it's of any use to anyone please send me a personal message and I can happily forward a copy to you - it is 4 pages.

Incidentally I think my Sarah Barraclough - also baptised as Sally, may now have been the daughter of Benjamin's older brother, James Barraclough. In which case it's just the mother's line of my tree which is completely up the swanee'.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.