Author Topic: lost ancestor  (Read 3225 times)

Offline Katie Hiscock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: lost ancestor
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 14:55 BST (UK) »
Mother Amelia Jane seems to have left a will.

Probate calendar 1937

Corps AmelIa Jane of Manor Cottage Stokesley Middlesborough widow died 14 Jan 1937 at Highcroft Ruscombe Twyford Berkshire Probate York 16 March to Charles Corps railway dock superintendent.

It might be worth obtaining a copy of this will.

William

hii
oh I thought it was just a probate not a will. definate it a will ?

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 14:58 BST (UK) »
I can try that yes. but how will it help if it has no surname ? also she was in school at the time so didn't have a profession. so I can't link them either

If you have an exact date of birth, there can't be many Lizzies with that dob in 1939, it should give a short list of possible new surnames to work through and eliminate.
She may have married and surname badly transcribed on GRO  index, or married outside England / Wales. She could have changed her surname because she didn't like it.
Apart from Stokesley and Reading are there any other places associated with the family?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Katie Hiscock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 15:04 BST (UK) »
I can try that yes. but how will it help if it has no surname ? also she was in school at the time so didn't have a profession. so I can't link them either

If you have an exact date of birth, there can't be many Lizzies with that dob in 1939, it should give a short list of possible new surnames to work through and eliminate.
She may have married and surname badly transcribed on GRO  index, or married outside England / Wales. She could have changed her surname because she didn't like it.
Apart from Stokesley and Reading are there any other places associated with the family?

well frank died in Nottingham
Emma died in reading
Amelia died in reading
Charles died in stokesley
urrrmmm
no mainly Yorkshire tbh. lol I'm not for Yorkshire so it's slightly annoying

and Thomas an annie died in childhood

Offline Katie Hiscock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 15:05 BST (UK) »
I ment her changing her first name not surname because she didn't like it.  ;D

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 15:08 BST (UK) »
Nothing wrong with Lizzie for a name ;D
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 15:10 BST (UK) »
It is her father Charles who did not leave a will as the Probate Calendar has this

Corps Charles of Manor Cottage Stokesley died 17 April 1933 Administration 19 May Newcastle Upon Tyne to Amelia Jane Corps widow and Charles Corps...

If it says Administration in the Probate Calendar it means they died intestate.The documents are unlikely to tell you anything more. If it states that Probate was granted in the Probate Calendar there is a will. I have double checked - Amelia Jane Corps left a will.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Katie Hiscock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 15:12 BST (UK) »
Nothing wrong with Lizzie for a name ;D

haha I know but she might not of liked it  :D

it's just massively frustrating

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 15:12 BST (UK) »
Another possibility to concider could be that Lizzie has been committed to an institution and would be recorded by her initials. Alternatively she could have emigrated but I have not found her in any of the indexes.
Regards
Panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline Katie Hiscock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 15:15 BST (UK) »
It is her father Charles who did not leave a will as the Probate Calendar has this

Corps Charles of Manor Cottage Stokesley died 17 April 1933 Administration 19 May Newcastle Upon Tyne to Amelia Jane Corps widow and Charles Corps...

If it says Administration in the Probate Calendar it means they died intestate.The documents are unlikely to tell you anything more. If it states that Probate was granted in the Probate Calendar there is a will. I have double checked - Amelia Jane Corps left a will.

William

hi William I will check this might order it . thank you I didn't realised it means that. thank you that's amazing

Charles corps is the other son also. I've checked his probably  too I think he was born 1899. stokesley Yorkshire. obvs it might not help but worth a try a. maybe she is just untraceable