Author Topic: Thomas Davies - Mariner from St Dogmael  (Read 904 times)

Offline ajames1601

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Davies - Mariner from St Dogmael
« on: Tuesday 03 April 18 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Looking for help with tracing a Thomas Davies. He married an Ann Nicholas (b.1846) who lived in Church Lane, St Dogmael, with their 3 children William George, Sarah & Martha in the 1881 census. She is down as being a Seamans Wife and all born in Pembrokeshire / St Dogmael area. I've got his name from the childrens' birth documents.
She disappears after this and Martha is living with Anns' Sister, Elizabeth 'Betsy' Thomas in the next census.
I can't find any marriage certificate between a Thomas Davies & Ann Nicholas, and there seem to have been a few Thomas Davies born around the 1840s mark who have records to do with sea occupations (Mariners? I dont know the term sorry!). I cant identify a Thomas Davies who it may be.
Any help with this would be much appreciated  :)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Davies - Mariner from St Dogmael
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 April 18 22:31 BST (UK) »
William George & Sarah were both born in Llanelly according to the 1881 census. Have you looked there for a marriage? Is it possible that Ann was married to someone before Thomas Davies? How are the details of her surname given on the birth certs?

My ggrandmother's family was from St Dogmael's and all the men were mariners. The family marriages were not often in St Dogmael's. There were links by sea from the area so the marriage could easily be elsewhere.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb