Author Topic: Confused about Royal Artillery & Royal Engineers  (Read 780 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Confused about Royal Artillery & Royal Engineers
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 April 18 15:55 BST (UK) »
On the top right corner of the front sheet of his discharge paper is written "H 5485" which cross refers to the number you saw in the pension register.
There is also a note on the discharge paper I hadn't seen before on sheet two written at the age of 70 saying "Rheumatism so bad that he cannot walk" which adds up with what you say about arthritis.

(Sorry - I had overlooked the reference to Wrotham in the pension register)

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Confused about Royal Artillery & Royal Engineers
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 April 18 18:26 BST (UK) »
Dear MaxD

Thank you so much! I am tickled pink to have found all this out after so many years of searching - although it does open up even more questions for me.

I can just about see the reference number on the discharge papers now you have pointed it out.  I paid a researcher to get the papers for me years ago before they were available online, and the copy is very dark and difficult to read. (And I have no access to FindMyPast at present; must go to the library and look at it there).

Yes, that's where I got the info about the rheumatism (not arthritis, my mistake), and also knew that he had lived until at least (about) 70 years of age.

I am very grateful to you for all your interest and help.

Thanks once again!

Best wishes,
Melbell