Author Topic: Kyle at Killycoogan, Portglenone, Antrim  (Read 659 times)

Offline GlendaT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kyle at Killycoogan, Portglenone, Antrim
« on: Tuesday 03 April 18 23:38 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Kyle family, in particular Matthew Kyle, my maternal 3rd great grandfather. He died 25 March 1874 at Killycoogan,Portglenone, Antrim. His death certificate stated he was 66 years old, a weaver and his wife's name was Margaret (nee Barkley or Barclay ?). Would anyone have
information or be connected to this family. Kindest regards, Glenda

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kyle at Killycoogan, Portglenone, Antrim
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 00:39 BST (UK) »
There was a John Kyle farming in Killycoogan in 1901. A relation perhaps?

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Lisnagarran/Killycoogan/940481/

1911 census, 2 households:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Lisnagarran/Killycoogan/123823/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Lisnagarran/Killycoogan/123824/

Probate abstract from PRONI wills site:

Administration of the Estate of John Kyle late of Killycoogan County Antrim Farmer who died 5 October 1914 granted at Belfast to William J. Kyle Farmer

A couple of gravestones in Portglenone Church of Ireland graveyard (Presbyterians were often buried in Church of Ireland graveyards):

Erected In Memory of Jane Kyle of Killycoogan Who died 27th October 1845, aged 36 years And her husband James Kyle Who died 27th October 1874 aged 66 years Also their daughter-in-law Jane Kyle Who died 24th December 1879 aged 47 years and her grandson James Foster Kyle Who died 5th January 1900 aged 6 1/2 years and their son John Kyle Died 10th October 1914 aged 77 years Their great grandaughter Sarah J. Kyle Died 26th February 1941 aged 19 years

Erected In memory of Mary Kyle who departed this life 15th January 1838 Aged 21 Years Also her husband James Kyle Killycoogan, Who died 11th August 1885, Aged 77 years And his daughter Jane Taylor Who died 10th November 1909 Aged 66 Years And her husband James Taylor Died 29th June 1918, Aged 84 Years

The Valuation revision books on the PRONI website show 2 James Kyles in Killycoogan in the 1870s. One had the agnomen carpenter and the other grocer. The carpenter’s farm passed to John Kyle in 1875. The grocer’s changed to James Taylor in 1894, evidently his son in law.
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 09:25 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline GlendaT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 21:00 BST (UK) »
I believe my Matthew Kyle is probably related. I just need to figure out how. This is definitely a very good lead. Thanks so much Elwyn for the information.  Kindest regards, Glenda