Author Topic: Newcastle upon Tyne street names in the 1851 census  (Read 601 times)

Offline cravend

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newcastle upon Tyne street names in the 1851 census
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 17:11 BST (UK) »
Gadget and stanmapstone,
Thank you for replying. The link worked fine.
Pete

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 April 18 23:38 BST (UK) »

The only difference in the full links is a %20 in the first  one and a + in the other. Wonder why  ???

Short, non techy answwer:

I believe the links were generated from the results of a search query, the search term was possibly/probably street index (two words, with a space in the middle).

Though we recognise spaces between words, urls don't so they either stick in %20  or  + to represent the space.

Longer, more techy answer
https://www.fullhost.com/blog/what-does-20-mean-in-a-web-address/

bet you fall asleep with boredom before you get halfway down the page :-)

Boo

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 April 18 08:07 BST (UK) »
I think I'd fallen asleep before I read your answer, Boo  ;D

I think the only thing to do is to check on the 'shrink link' in preview before posting, as Stan said he usually did  ;D

Gadget

PS  for OP. Parts of present day Newcastle were not listed as they were classified as in Northumberland (mostly Castle Ward) then.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk