Author Topic: Why do people want photographs restoring and colouring?  (Read 5008 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Why do people want photographs restoring and colouring?
« on: Wednesday 04 April 18 13:41 BST (UK) »
An area of information technology with which I am not familiar is the advanced use of graphics packages and so I'm very impressed with what some people here have been able to do by removing creases and adding colour to photographs.

I'd be interested to know why people actually want these processes to be done. I find it quite endearing to see an old black and white or sepia photograph with a crease or a crumple or a greasy mark from a picnic on it. It makes me realise that generations of my family of handled it.  Any comments? It seems one step short of removing your ex-wife or adding the face of a friend who wasn't able to attend of an event.

Isn't it like tampering with the data of family history?

Martin

Offline MartynS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Why do people want photographs restoring and colouring?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 15:20 BST (UK) »
As a restorer who prefers to colour...So maybe im a colourist then  ;)  it is all about the creative buzz and the interest in some stories posters share to help a restorer "paint the mind picture" before we even restore or attempt to colour an old photo.

Removing creases, light defects, noise and damage through ageing is something that obscures the photo - surely an improved digital version is better and can be used in presentations, videos etc etc for family trees and tracing history etc. It is in digital format thus,......the original still has its creases etc.....

The cherished memories for some are better in black and white (natural) for others the possibility of seeing as close to realistic colouring enhances memories or old family ties. Intrigue in the original photo still resides after a restore and colour-up. Nice to have before and afters....

The other side for me is do - i sit and watch the rubbish soap operas on tv or repeated films time and time again or try and help others with family treasures such as the old photos.  8)

Restoring and colouring is very rewarding when you get the good sized images to play with and people actually thank you for the time and effort. Nothing makes a poster or restorer happier than a good result and lots of various efforts from many talented restorers on here. Everyone has a skill and artistic perspective so it is interesting to see the effects of everybody.

Very rarely do we tamper with the aesthetics of an original photo i.e head swap or change backgrounds dramatically...unless a photo is poor quality or there is no other option than to try something radical with artistic license. This open forum allows restorers to also at times try cheeky alternative design methods which helps us practice skills. Not always do they come out how the photo poster wanted, but as creative restorers/colourists we like to push the limits and boundaries.

Always every artist/restorer/colourist delivers something valuable.

If people want photoshop graphics then they go to other forums/websites and here is 99.9% tasteful restorations and colourisation.

Others will have different comments to me - just like we all have different restore/colour methods and skills.
Restorers : Please do not use my restorations without asking my permission first. Thanks.

Good quality size scans will mean much better restores >> hint hint :-)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 15:39 BST (UK) »
I couldn't have put it better myself Martin...There is a huge demand for photo repair which, if done by professionals is very expensive. Here people have a choice...they take it, or they leave as the service is free and they are under no obligation to use what the restorers have created for them. The original isn't affected.

I have known people be reduced to tears of joy at seeing a very poor or heavily damaged only photo of their soldier relative who lost his life in battle. That is a powerful motivator for us.

I have always said that colouring an old photo is always going to be a best guess, and as such, it is a piece of fiction and shouldn't be taken seriously. When people send me a PM asking if they can use my work, I always tell them to make a note that the photo has been restored or coloured.

It's a very rewarding and worthwhile hobby and one I really enjoy, long may it continue  ;)

Like Martyn....I'm not ready for a shawl and a pair of knitting needles yet  ;D ;D

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 15:44 BST (UK) »
From my late mother's house I have a "coloured" photo of an aunt's wedding, the two older bridesmaids are in blue, the two young ones in pink. 

Then I found the newspaper report of the wedding which describes the dresses of the older two bridesmaids as pink and the two younger ones as blue.

Oops!

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 15:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

People want "enhanced" photos because they do (want them).
Others take modern photos and modify them to (say) sepia-coloured

Rootschatters help with research, refresh photos, etc.,
because they can and they have the time and it pleases them to please other people.

Sad world if we all wanted the exact same thing.

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline MartynS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 15:56 BST (UK) »
I have always said that colouring an old photo is always going to be a best guess, and as such, it is a piece of fiction and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Exactly Carol, rarely do we have the correct information - and family members do not even know 90% of the time - so every colour job is what we think or dare i say it "what the picture is telling us" - ultimately its fiction/artistic flair.
Restorers : Please do not use my restorations without asking my permission first. Thanks.

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 16:13 BST (UK) »
At the risk of repeating what has already been said (and by me in the past), the restores and colourings should be seen as an extra rather than a replacement. It can make a photograph more 'viewable'. I'm the first to admit that I can be guilty of overcooking sometimes, I can't resist the temptation, so I have the utmost respect for those restorers that restore to the original 'feel' of the pic. Personally, I'd rather see a photo of my Nan without a scratch down her face, but its horses for courses.... whatever rows your boat.

On the other hand, artists like Martyn are able to create something entirely different while still having empathy/ sympathy with the original.

I do tend to draw the line, if possible at re-writing history. I do some work on another site that includes modern photos too. Removing or adding people has to have an extremely valid reason for me and I also refuse to 'shop' photographs that I suspect may be used for bullying etc.

edited to add: Maybe the best folk to answer, are those who put them up  :)

Offline MartynS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 16:17 BST (UK) »
Others take modern photos and modify them to (say) sepia-coloured

and Ray nailed it there with taking modern and making it old looking.....

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 16:22 BST (UK) »
Over time photos deteriorate & can eventually be lost for good. Repairing them is a way of retaining/conserving the data rather than tampering with it.
Art & building conservation is pretty much the same thing the only difference being that with photos we're dealing with a digital copy not the original.
Colourisation is just the personal choice of the poster & we often get the comment that colour brings the person to life in a way a b & w or sepia doesn't.
I think that everyone would agree that the original is a piece of history however a restored copy makes a better photo for general use.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/