Author Topic: Why do people want photographs restoring and colouring?  (Read 5015 times)

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Why do people want photographs restoring and colouring?
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 13 May 18 11:55 BST (UK) »
I can appreciate all the views made on this thread. I have had some old family photos cleaned up and have been very pleased with the results. A recent one of my great aunt and uncle strolling along a promenade on holiday revealed details of the lady's handbag and the fact she was also carrying an umbrella. I always retain the damaged originals though and keep them in acid-free boxes. As for colouring well yes I think it can add interest to the image but I am also very conscious that it is not true to the original and it bothers me that in the future, should the photos survive, other people will not know that they have been "tampered with".  Again though, the original is retained safely in my collection.  As for photoshopping and (perish the monstrous thought) adding people who weren't there, for me this is a definite no-no!

AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Early 19th C Hairdressing & Perfumery
Spittalfields Silkweavers
Glass making, S Shields

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Why do people want photographs restoring and colouring?
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 13 May 18 15:01 BST (UK) »
I always restore first before I colour. I find adding colour gives more definition to a photo as Chirp points out undiscovered details emerge.
If you look at a photo such as the one Chirp mentions, you don't look that close at all the details you just notice a man and a lady strolling a promenade., but when colouring the same photo you have to look close and that is when you notice the small items, like the handbag and umbrella, so you give them a different colour and that brings them to the attention of the viewer.
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU