Author Topic: Catherine Ferns Ryan, emigrated 1929 to Quebec, then on to New York .. cant find  (Read 3950 times)

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Ferns Ryan, emigrated 1929 to Quebec, then on to New York .. cant find
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 11:24 BST (UK) »
Kathy was online yesterday and never made comment  ???

Maybe she's in shock that - after all this time - she's been given a real possibilty .. LOL

Sylvia

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Ferns Ryan, emigrated 1929 to Quebec, then on to New York .. cant find
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 11:42 BST (UK) »
Think I was expecting an "Excited Poster" screaming "Wow" at what you had found for her.  :-\

Feeling the pleasure and excitement for her  ;D ;D

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 11:59 BST (UK) »
It's still early days, maybe she's mulling it over.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 12:51 BST (UK) »
Sometimes people don't have time to respond or hopped on to look at another thread.  Let's not expect that people comment immediately.  I would hope people who help do it out of the joy of helping rather than in expectation of a specific response.

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hello guys, I have been following your thread for a while now, so excited to at last have some closure on Catherine, but then bubble burst when I thought we had the wrong girl. That is why I didn’t reply. Didn’t realise I was caught up so emotionally with this one.  But Sandra and Tree Spirit, you DO have the right  girl. The parents are correct and birthplace is correct!! Her family were miners and would follow the pit sinking for work.  Mary Bonar Ryan had family both in Uddingston and Bothwell.
Tree Spirit however did you find Catherine, I have been at this for literally YEARS and only got as far as Ellis Island?
Do you reckon there might be more photos, and where would I look? I will certainly follow up the McMillan links now.

I am on the same trail for Mary Ryan, married to John Mulligan, she had two girls Joan and Betty Mulligan, 1940 census and poof!! Thin air. Born Brooklyn. in Orange County Florida. But Betty and Joan? No sign. Can you help me with this?
In any case thank you guys SO MUCH for the time and effort you have put into this for me. Especially for the photograph. If you need any Scottish help, more than happy to help you in return.
You have made me very, very happy xx :) :) ;)

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 19:02 BST (UK) »
By the way, one of the few things I DO know about the Ryan’s was DANIEL aged 18, was eating an orange and sadly choked to death on it. A bizarre accident, but there is the link to Daniel. :o

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 19:37 BST (UK) »
Great that TreeSpirit found the information and correctly identified Catherine.

The two daughters of John Mulligan and Mary nee Ryan were born 1936 and 1937 so hopefully still living. RootsChat has a no living people policy.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 21:15 BST (UK) »
Thx Sandra you all have been absolutely fantastic. Sorry if I appeared slow in answering. I didn’t realise how emotionally attached to this one. X

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 12:59 BST (UK) »

It can feel a bit odd when after many years a breakthrough happens ... :-)
I suppose that I managed to find her with a bit of experience, a bit of luck and maybe a fresh pair of eyes (and it was the "Fern(s)" part that was the big lead).

BTW Although it seems to fit fairly nicely and although she seems to be the only candidate, it might still be worth getting Catherine's death certificate to determine 100% that she is the right one.

rgds Sylvia