Author Topic: Catherine Ferns Ryan, emigrated 1929 to Quebec, then on to New York .. cant find  (Read 3916 times)

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Ferns Ryan, emigrated 1929 to Quebec, then on to New York .. cant find
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 13:05 BST (UK) »

PS I still think that son Daniel was named after his grandfather. I believe that this is the marriage of Catherine's parents-in-law (I haven't researched this thoroughly yet, so I could be wrong):
Utah Marriages, 1887-1935
Name:   Daniel A. Mcmillan
Spouse's Name:   Lizzie Coakley
Event Date:   24 Dec 1906
Event Place:   Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Ferns Ryan, emigrated 1929 to Quebec, then on to New York .. cant find
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Sylvia, still elated with this wonderful find of Catherine, who I am named after.
I found one Wallace McMillan with 9 children ... that’s a big stretch for marriage in 1931 and death in 1942. This Catherine was living for longer. You see who easy it is To go gaily up a blind alley.
How would I get a death certificate for Catherine?

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 20 April 18 14:51 BST (UK) »
There is this NY site for certificates (I have never used it, maybe someone else has had experience with it): https://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records/genealogy.htm

FYI Catherine can be found on the 1952 death index here: https://archive.org/stream/New_York_State_Death_Index_1952/Reclaim_The_Records_-_New_York_Death_Index_-_1952#page/n959/mode/1up (go to the bottom of the page)
(Note: the place of death is not a place name and there is no certificate number … strange, does this mean there is no NY certificate ??? I have no idea.)

I have sent you a private message re Mary's children.

Sylvia

PS the link to the NY death idx is supposed to take you to page 960, but gremlins are interfering. Just page forward to page 960 yourself.

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 20 April 18 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Sylvia, it is quickly unravelling! After years of effort you have got me well on the way to success!
I looked up the death record as you suggested indeed no certificate number, how odd ... and the reason for death is 9? Do you know what 9 is ? Code for pneumonia or something? In any case it looks like Catherine had a much better life in the US than she would have had here in Scotland, so sad she did not live longer.
Do you have to pay for these records, or are they free to the general public?
The other website looks really good and has some tutorials on it. Will make use of this!
Thank you so much for helping me, and for Maggs, Sandra etc also who give their time to help people on Rootschat! you have filled in the gaps in Catherine ‘s history.

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 20 April 18 15:40 BST (UK) »
Looking at the Death Certificate Index, Catherine has a number in place of a Place of Death, and no Certificate Number. One other on the page is the same. Anybody know what this could mean? Thx, Kathy

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 20 April 18 16:59 BST (UK) »
I had another look at the certificate page. It issues NY state certificates, but it mentions that New York New York (copies of) certificates have to ordered via the city of New York i.e. http://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/services/death-certificates.page.

Unfortunately I don't know where Catherine's death was registered, but it is listed in "the index to deaths in New York State in 1880-1956"

Offline genealsue

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 22 April 18 03:21 BST (UK) »
My name is Susan McMillan Renzo, and I am the daughter of Wallace McMillan and Rita McCormick.a

I am in tears right now, seeing that you have done what I could not do: locate Catherine Ryan's past!! 

My father was married to Catherine Ryan, They had two sons, Daniel Angus McMillan II (named for my father's father) and James Wallace McMillan.

Daniel married Charlotte Odell, and they had five children, two daughters and three sons. Both Dan and Charlotte are deceased, Charlotte only a few months ago..

James was married, had a son, then divorced. He relocated to CA, where he was with a woman with five children. It isn't clear to me whether they ever married. James died many years ago.

Several years after the death of Catherine (which I understood to be by suicide, related to a painful bone disease) Wallace married Rita McCormick. They had 8 children; 4 daughters and 4 sons. I am the oldest of the 8.

My father died at age 61, in December 1968. At that time, my mother was 43 (she, too, is deceased), I was 13 and the youngest siblings, twin boys, were 4. My mother never remarried, raised us all by herself.

Catherine Ryan did not have a social security number. Back in the 1940s, early 1950s they were not required. I have their tax returns from that time, and while she and the boys are listed, none of them had a number. Perhaps it was a citizenship issue: I don't know what her immigration status was. She may well have been a registered alien. Also, I believe that her death was in Pelham, NY, which is located just outside of New York City. However, it might also have been in Glenham, NY. I know they owned homes at different times in both locations, but I don't know the timing.

I have a picture in my family tree of Wallace and Catherine and an unidentified woman sitting around a table playing cards in my family tree. It is the only one I was ever able to locate.

I am so grateful to all of you who worked together to gain this information. I tried so hard to include it in the book I created in memory of my father in what would have been his centennial year, 2007. I just couldn't pierce the veil of so many years.

I would be happy to fill in any other blanks I am able to.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 22 April 18 06:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan, welcome and great to hear from you .. I'd seen your name pop up a number of times during this search. I'm sure that Kathy will be elated to have contact with you. I've continued to work privately with her on Catherine's nieces (i.e. Mary's daughters) as they might still be alive. We've a got a possibility but it sounds as if you might not know about them as you knew so little about Catherine's background?

It is intriguing how just a name in a newspaper could tear down that big brick wall that has kept 2 families apart for so long. It is also interesting how you managed to find this post as it is still very new.

rgds, Sylvia

PS I believe that you need to have posted 3 times before you can send private messages on this forum ..

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 22 April 18 08:41 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat from me to.

Gosh - Another WOW on this thread - Kathy will be absolutely thrilled and excited that you have replied, she has been researching for a number of years and perseverance has certainly paid off when TreeSpirit came across a newspaper announcement not very long ago.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada