Author Topic: Islay Ancestors  (Read 20238 times)

Offline Genetrix

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Islay Ancestors
« on: Wednesday 04 April 18 16:00 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know how I could find records of ancestors from Islay moving to Canada in the mid 1800's.  Would there be any immigration records in Scotland that far back?

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Islay Ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 16:32 BST (UK) »
Have a read at https://www.islayinfo.com/islay-genealogy.html

more specifically about emigration from the island at
https://www.islayinfo.com/leaving-islay-history-of-islay-emigrations.html

Some estate papers are held at the Mitchell Library in Glasgow, some records are at the Council Archives in Lochgilphead and at Glasgow University Business Archives - others are scattered about in different places, very few appear to have remained on the island.

There were very few passenger lists especially early on as they were not a legal requirement and even later very few left directly from the island but moved to the likes of Glasgow to board ships there.

Unfortunately my own experience is pretty much of finding experts at putting up brick walls - very thick brick walls  ::)

Offline Genetrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 17:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Falkyrn for the information.  Interesting reading but doesn't look likely that I'll trace the ancestors.  Canadian records are hard to use as they expect you to know such things as the name of the ship and date, etc.  Quite ridiculous of course.  If I knew that, I wouldn't need to look it up at all.

Genetrix 

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 18:52 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately even the Islay Family History Group closed its doors a few years ago although their records & research work were handed over to the Gaelic College (The Columba Centre) in Bowmore - they may be worth an email

Offline Genetrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 19:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Falkyrn.  I've googled The Columbia Centre so will now send them an email.

Genetrix

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 April 18 00:14 BST (UK) »
Any idea where in Canada they went? Some surnames? A large group, including names like FLETCHER, MCCUAIG etc., arrived from Islay to near me in Oro Township, Simcoe County, Ontario about the 1820s, I believe.
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline Genetrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 April 18 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Argyllshiregirl:  I'm doing this for a friend whose having a problem with her computer.  Name of couple from Islay was Peter McArthur and wife Flora McEachern.  Peter seems to have been born around 1813 and I think Flora was 1825.  Don't know if they married in Islay or in Canada.  I think Peter first came to Pickering, Ontario and ended up in Oro, Simcoe County.  I see you have McArthur on your list and wonder if there's a connection there.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 April 18 23:20 BST (UK) »
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Genetrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 April 18 14:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Don.  Could quite likely be him as my friend has discovered he purchased land in Oro, Simcoe County (Canada) in 1840.