Author Topic: Islay Ancestors  (Read 20239 times)

Offline Marlid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Islay Ancestors
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 April 18 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hello

Peter McArthur is my great-grandfather.  Genetrix posted some information on him, for me, while my computer was down.  He was born in Islay, Scotland around 1813 and came to Canada - probably in the late 1830's.  He worked for a short time for a Squire in what is now present day Shanty Bay, Ontario.  In 1840 he purchased land on the 5th Conc. of Oro Twp., Ontario.  He married a Flora McEachern and they had one son.  He died on January 12, 1858 and is buried at Knox Presbyterian Cemetery in Oro.  Flora was born approximately 1825 in Islay and died July 15, 1895 - also buried at Knox.  As I am going to Islay this summer, I am most interested in finding the names of their parents.  In the Canada Census of 1881 there was an Elizabeth McArthur living at the farm in Oro and it says she is 77 years old.  I have no idea what relation she is if any.

Many thanks for any information you can provide

Marlid 

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 April 18 20:54 BST (UK) »
Marlid,

There are 11 Peter's baptised on Islay between 1810-1820 in those parishes which represent Islay.
These are not all the births only those baptised and not everyone was including my McArthur's who were not. 

The parishes are Bowmore-Kilarrow, Kilchoman, Kildalton, Kilmeny, Oa and Portnahaven.

The original OPR documents can be viewed online for a small fee at  https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk but you can see the above, their parents and their baptismal dates without having to download the actual image.  So you could do a lot of digging in advance of your trip. 

I am not sure which 1881 Census you are looking at but on the original I see Charles (72), Gilbert (25), Flora (55) and Elizabeth (77).  Then there is a John/Margaret and their 4 children above.

Enjoy your trip.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Marlid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 April 18 03:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Don

Thank you for all the information.  I will definitely check it.  I am especially interested in looking again at the Canada Census for 1881 - the copy I have only lists Gilbert, Flora and Elizabeth so I will definitely have another look at it.  I am surprised there were so many living at the farm house back then.  My grandfather died when my father was 9, so unfortunately he didn't get to learn about the family history from his father.

Thanks again

Marlid

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 February 19 12:08 GMT (UK) »
nearest Peter McArthur born islay to yours is Peter 18th april 1814 in avinvogie, killarrow,
parents are donald McArthur and  Margaret (peggy) McKerrol,
also a brother Duncan born 25th july 1812

Offline Marlid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 March 19 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Raunoll4

Thank you for all the information you have sent to me and to Genetrix about my McArthur ancestors from Islay.  It is very much appreciated.  I wish I known this information when I visited Islay last September.  I believe the information you sent to Genetrix about Gilbert McArthur and Catherine Gilchrist are my great-great grandparents.  The names and dates match up.  I will continue to look into this information.  I have a relative visiting Scotland this month and will suggest she visit Islay and  all this should be very helpful to her.

Once again - many thanks

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 March 19 19:40 GMT (UK) »
your very welcome my own familly come from islay the records are there on islay in bowmore i believe
on here there is a freddie bell my cousin
 he lives there and i m sure he d tell you where to view the  records,
 but this is the link i downloaded them from

http://sites.rootsweb.com/~sctislay/~tlarson/bdm/

only to happy to help

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
   once more is there anymore detail you can give me on Flora Mceachern
there is 3 fits her detail in Islay births

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
   might be missing something here i m looking at simcoe 1881 census Flora Macarthur
and on the same page there is 2 Macarthurs who could be Flora s sons John and Gilbert,
also a familly Gilchrists

Offline Marlid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McArthur Islay Ancestors
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 16 April 19 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Raunoll4
Great to hear from you again
About Flora McArthur (nee McEachern), Genetrix found some information on the 1841 Scottish Census for a Flora McEachern that matches her birth date.
It has the following information County:  Argyllshire (ARL) Place:  Kildalton. Civil Parish:  Kildalton and House or Street Name:  Kilbride.  It shows a Neil McEachern, Age 65, Occupation: Agriculture Labourer Birth County:  ARL then Annabella McEachern, Age 50, Birth County ARL, and Flora McEachern, Age 15 Birth County ARL.  Flora’s birthdate matches with my great-grandmother.  If it is her, she probably immigrated to Canada with relatives other than her parents because her father was 65 at this time.
I know she is buried at Knox Presbyterian Cemetery, Oro but when I go onto their website her grave does not come up.  I have just spoken to one of their board members and he has a book from the church called Kith and Kin.  He is going to go through it to see if he can find who her relatives were.  Also I know where she is buried in the cemetery, so I will ask them to add it to their website.
On the 1881 Canadian Census Flora’s is Item #3697935 District 139, Family #137 – she was 55.  Gilbert McArthur on the same Census is her son.  He was born 1856, his is Item # 3697937, Family #137
There is also an Elizabeth McArthur, Item #3697936, Family #137, Age: 77.  I believe she is my great-grandfather – Peter McArthur’s sister Elispy born October 19, 1801, Islay, Scotland.  I know the year of birth doesn’t match but the Census then was not as accurate as it is now – also I have been told my McArthur Scottish ancestors only spoke Gaelic – so there would also have been the language problem.
John McArthur on the 1881 Census, Item #3697925, Age 27, could be Charles McArthur’s son.  Charles is probably my great-grandfather’s brother.  Here again the birth date from the Canadian Census and the Scottish Census do not agree – one says 1809 and the other 1806.  It shows his occupation as Gailer – do you know if that is a Gaelic word?  I don’t know what it means.  John had 3 children in 1881 – Jane Age 4, Caroline 2 and infant Charles, born Feb, 1881.  After that John and his wife Margaret and their infant son just seem to disappear.  In the Canadian 1891 Census I have found his daughter Jane Age 14 and Caroline Age 12 living with a Charles McArthur, Age 62 and Jane his wife Age 70.  It shows “L” for relationship to head of the family which may mean Legal guardian so perhaps they are the grandparents and not the Charles McArthur I previously referenced – he (my relative) is Item #3697933 on the 1881 Census.
I have been unable to find any Gilchrist’s in Oro-Medonte, Ontario that would match up with my family unless I am missing something.
Thank you once again for your interest and help
Kindest regards
Marlid