Author Topic: Jardine/Burns marriage  (Read 2801 times)

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jardine/Burns marriage
« on: Wednesday 04 April 18 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi. I'm currently researching David Burns born 1814 Applegarth, Dumfries. According to his birth, father was Francis Burns, mother listed as Jardine. I am unable to find any marriage for Francis and ?Jardine. If the naming pattern is anything to go by, David's 2nd daughter was Mary. I haven't been able to find any death for Francis either. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jardine/Burns marriage
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hi mlmcholm,
I've had a good search in ref: to David Burns born 17th Jan 1814. and his Father Francis. I have found a Mary Jardine, as you mention, same town i.e. Applegarth, Sibbaldbie. but rule her out as she was producing her own Daughter, Mary in 1814.
Another Jardine I found was a Janet Jardine, same Town as above, but married to a Francis Cowan.
Sadly, I could not put Francis Burns with any name Jardine ,except at the Birth of David, in a 30 years life-span either way, even Death Records for him do not show up, or Birth details.

I presume you are doublie sure the facts you have are spot on, otherwise I could search in another direction.........................Ron.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 14:19 BST (UK) »
1851 Census in Applegarth we have;
Janet Jardine, 60, Head, Laundress, born Applegarth, dumfriess
James Anderson, 31, Lodger

A Jane JARDINE was christened Applegarth 17 Feb 1789 to Robert JARDINE and Janet DICKSON

May be worth looking at images on Scotlandpeople to see if she is widowed.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,  Your Jane, was baptised JANET after her Mother, not Jane. She was born 17th Feb 1789 as you said, but the Parents were Joseph Jardine, not Robert, and his wife was Janet Dickson. So far...Good!  Janet Jardine the daughter, married at age 22 years to John Jardine on the 18th Nov. 1811. Notice the same surnames.
The Janet you mention in 1851 Census, with a 31 year old lodger in tow, Head-laundress, was widowed between 1841 and 1851, from John Jardine who died 1842. The ages are reduced as per 1841 Census's as was the habit of that era.  Although I'd expect Janet to be recorded at 45.....But then again!!  So, my educated guess is:  Janet born 17th Feb 1789 and Janet who was widowed in 1842 from John....Are one of the same................................Ron.

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Stob ban. Thanks for taking the time on this for me. All the info I have is a transcript of David Burns birth on Ancestry. 17 Jan 1814, Applegarth Dumfries, father Francis Burns, mother Jardine. I did find a death record for David on Scotlandspeople for 1879, Kirkmichael Dumfries, but haven't bought the cert.

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 21:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,  The David Burns you mention on Scotlandspeople,  I have searched the  Death Details for the above in Kirkmichael, Dumfries.  Your correct he died in 1879, and his Father was James Burns and Mother was Margaret Jardine.  David was married to Elizabeth Greenash.
If the above David Burns is the one you are after; the Birth matches in ref: to his Death, 64-65 years of age. Can you tell me what part of the family are you more concerned with.  Will be in touch tomorrow................Ron.

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 22:25 BST (UK) »
Wow, Stob Ban that's great, thank you. Yes he did marry Elizabeth Greenhalgh, March 1843 and was a gunner in the Royal Artillery. The Burns family is the direct link to the McHolm famiy. Mary Ann Burns, Davids second daughter, who was born in Gibraltar in 1848, married William McHolm. David and Elizabeth's first daughter was Margaret born 1844. Will be interesting now to be able to take it further. Thanks again

Offline Stob Ban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 May 18 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,  You sound really pleased with the outcome as you seem to be moving in the right direction eventually.  A little more info: left:  Now that we have confirmed the real David Burns married to Elizabeth Greenhalgh, and all other Death and Birth sources working out to a 'T' the details I have for his TRUE parents are:  Father: James Burns, Mother: Margaret Jardine.  David died at aged 64 in Kirkmichael, from an accident and survived eight days afterward.  He died on January 19th at 4.15am.  The Doctor who attended was a Thomas Reid. 

All the above info: comes from a detailed copy of his Death on The Statutory Records..........Ron.

Offline mlmcholm

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 May 18 09:36 BST (UK) »
Many thanks once again Stob Ban. I will see if I can find any more on his death. I am unable to find any marriage though for James Burns and Margaret Jardine. It's not easy is it!