Author Topic: Where did William Lamb Muir go?  (Read 2627 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Where did William Lamb Muir go?
« on: Wednesday 04 April 18 23:20 BST (UK) »
William Lamb Muir was born in Lochgargens, Kirkcudbrightshire on 18 June 1865. On 4 October 1894 he married Anna Scott in the County Hotel, Forfar. He gave his occupation as draper and his address as 108 Upper Brook Street, Manchester. In 1901 he and Anna were at 27 Chester Road, Northwich, Cheshire. I have failed to find them in 1911. Anna died on 24 September 1929 at Craigville, Kirkcudbright, and her death was registered by her widower. I cannot find his death. Any ideas?

A William Lamb Muir, aged 30, immigrated to St Albans, Franklin, Vermont, USA in 1895, but I don't think it's him because the transcription of that record says he was born in Newmains, and the one I am looking for was in Cheshire in 1901.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where did William Lamb Muir go?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 April 18 09:14 BST (UK) »
He was still in Hartford, Northwich when the 1906 Kelly's Directory of Cheshire was prepared.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline capricorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 April 18 09:21 BST (UK) »
He's still in Kircudbright valuation rolls 1926 to 1930
Census information Crown Copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 April 18 09:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian ,

A William Lamb Muir, aged 30, immigrated to St Albans, Franklin, Vermont, USA in 1895, but I don't think it's him because the transcription of that record says he was born in Newmains, and the one I am looking for was in Cheshire in 1901.

Looking at the records on Familysearch I think that William Lamb Muir went to the USA in 1923 and was born in 1893 Scotland -
William Lamb Muir , event date 1895 - 1924 , event place Vermont United States , male age 30 , birth Newmains Scotland.

William Lamb Muir , Cheshire Register of Electors(1842-1900) , 1898 - 1900.

So many William Muir's born in Scotland around 1865   :-\

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 April 18 09:32 BST (UK) »
There was a William Lamb Muir living in Dumfries in 1911

http://digital.nls.uk/directories/browse/archive/85540416?mode=transcription

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 April 18 09:38 BST (UK) »
A Mr W L Muir was advertising the Craigville property for sale in the Yorkshire Post  and The Scotsman, of  8th April 1930, all applications to him, proprietor, at Craigville.

Craigville was mentioned too in 1909 newspapers, in connection with will of a Miss Jessie Murray Muir. And in 1904, mentioned as address of wine and spirit merchant, James Muir.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 April 18 09:41 BST (UK) »
On the valuation rolls 1917-1930 at Craigville, 89 St Mary Street, Kirkcudbright   

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 April 18 10:21 BST (UK) »
There's a William Lamb Muir at Troqueer, Kirkcudbright in the 1905 valuation roll, and he appears to be still there in the 1911 census.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 April 18 12:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks, everyone, that is all very helpful. I see there is nothing after 1930.

I have now got him in the 1911 census index, but still don't understand why I couldn't find him (searched for Muir, William L*) yesterday.

Jessie Murray Muir could be his aunt. She died in 1909 in Kirkcudbright, aged 74. And James Muir died in Kirkcudbright in 1904, aged 81. In 1901 there's a household in Kirkcudbright consisting of James Muir, 78; William Muir, 74; and Jessie Muir, 66. A William Muir died in Kirkcudbright in 1917, aged 90.

So it looks as if Craigville might have been a family house where William and Anna moved from Troqueer after the deaths of their uncles and aunt, and after Anna's death he sold it - and disappeared, at the age of 65.

BTW I think Lochgargens is a misreading of Lochfergus. WLM was at Lochfergus in 1881 with his widowed mother and various siblings.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.