Author Topic: Where did William Lamb Muir go?  (Read 2623 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where did William Lamb Muir go?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 06 April 18 10:01 BST (UK) »
That fatal motor accident in 1930 is reported in the Carluke and Lanark Gazette of 14 February 1930. A six year old girl was hit by a car and died of her injuries. The owner of the vehicle was William Lamb Muir of Loch View, Newmains.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 06 April 18 10:50 BST (UK) »
The one in Newmains in 1930 was a son of a William Lamb Muir who had been a colliery manager for 24 years (per a lengthy article about one of his brothers in the Motherwell Times of 14 December 1928 ). So not your man.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 06 April 18 11:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks, both.

I did search The Scotsman but that didn't come up. It has, just now, when I tried again. Wouldn't be the first time that ProQuest has failed to find something I know to be there :(
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 16:22 BST (UK) »
Well.

Dumfries and Galoway Council have a record of an inscription in Galtway Kirkyard reading, "Erected by John Muir, Low Banks in memory of his wife Elizabeth Tod who died 3rd April 1853. Also to the memory of the above John Muir who died at Low Banks 25th July 1862. Also to the memory of Anna Scott, wife of William Lamb Muir who died at Craigville, Kirkcudbright 24th September 1929 aged 60 years."

There is a photo at https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/153351904/john-muir but the Findagrave index does not list her as either Anna Scott or Anna Muir.

John Muir (1826-1869), son of John Muir and Elizabeth Todd, was the father of William Lamb Muir.

James Muir (d 1904), Jessie Murray Muir (d 1909) and probably William Muir (d 1917) were the siblings of William Lamb Muir's mother Marion Muir (d 1900).

So the search for the death of William Lamb Muir must continue. In fact I have not made an any progress at all towards that, in spite of all the wonderful information supplied in this thread, thanks everyone.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 17:39 BST (UK) »
I have to ask Forfarian, did they check for burials as well or just MI's?

I find it odd that from 1930+ if he died in Scotland and even England he would have been buried with family unless he remarried or nobody knew who he or his family was.  The again he could have died overseas while on holiday.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 17:45 BST (UK) »
Forfarian, I have looked at this a number of times trying to help...and haven't been able to find anything for you  :-\

Frustrating for sure.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 18:07 BST (UK) »
I have to ask Forfarian, did they check for burials as well or just MI's?
They did. However Galtway Kirkyard was managed by the kirk and the burial records are not extant. The council person was very sorry they could not tell me whether anyone else was buried in the same lair.

The more avenues of enquiry prove fruitless here, the more likely it is that WLM emigrated after the death of his wife, though I can't imagine why.