Author Topic: Where did William Lamb Muir go?  (Read 2606 times)

Offline capricorn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Where did William Lamb Muir go?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 April 18 15:01 BST (UK) »
I'm not seeing William in 1939 English register either
Census information Crown Copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 April 18 15:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that. Another good idea eliminated!

I suppose me must have emigrated but why would someone emigrate at age 65+ after spending a lifetime, most of it very close to his roots, in Britain and having no family of his own to go and join?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 April 18 17:58 BST (UK) »
In 1930 (Carluke) a William Lamb Muir was in fatal vehicle accident in Carluke.  Not someone else died. 

There are also several references to Wm Lamb Muir in the Scotland and England including deaths pre 1930 so there are more than just one.

I am afraid you might have to look at the other Wm Muir's b 1865 who died elsewhere in Scotland. 

No probates/wills?

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 April 18 18:32 BST (UK) »
In 1930 (Carluke) a William Lamb Muir was in fatal vehicle accident in Carluke.  Not someone else died.
Interesting. Where did you find that? 

There are also several references to Wm Lamb Muir in the Scotland and England including deaths pre 1930 so there are more than just one.
Yes, there seem to be surprisingly many of them.

I am afraid you might have to look at the other Wm Muir's b 1865 who died elsewhere in Scotland.
Indeed. There are 'only' two or three dozen, so it is feasible to do so, but I have already tried to find him by this means in the SP Centre without success.

No probates/wills?
If he died in Scotland there will be no probate because there is no such thing in Scots Law. There might be a confirmation (the equivalent process in Scotland) but the online ones only go to 1925, so that is a trip to the Historical Search Room.

I have already checked the English calendar of probate for Anna (nothing doing) and for every William L Muir in the English death indexes. Again, no joy.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 April 18 19:55 BST (UK) »
Actually you can also check for the existence of wills in Scotland online from the Calendar of Confirmations of Wills and Inventories 1876 -1936.Not only is there greater detail than the index on Scotland's People but, of course, it gives an "extra" 11 years. (Cannot see an entry for William Lamb Muir).

You might find the Calendar entries for Jessie Murray Muir of interest as there are two for her, one in 1909 and one in 1917 - in the former her executor is a named as William Muir of Craigville, while in the latter confirmation was granted ad non executa to William Lamb Muir of Craigville.(There is in 1917 also an entry for James Muir who died 25 Jan 1904 with confirmation again ad non executa to William Lamb Muir).

Two further entries are for William Muir of Craigville (and surely linked to the above) who died 18, April 1917 - confirmation granted 7 July to William Lamb Muir. A further entry in 1919 has an eik granted.

Also note that there are entries for the above in the England and Wales Probate Calendar.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 April 18 22:16 BST (UK) »
Actually you can also check for the existence of wills in Scotland online from the Calendar of Confirmations of Wills and Inventories 1876 -1936.Not only is there greater detail than the index on Scotland's People but, of course, it gives an "extra" 11 years. (Cannot see an entry for William Lamb Muir).

You might find the Calendar entries for Jessie Murray Muir of interest as there are two for her, one in 1909 and one in 1917 - in the former her executor is a named as William Muir of Craigville, while in the latter confirmation was granted ad non executa to William Lamb Muir of Craigville.(There is in 1917 also an entry for James Muir who died 25 Jan 1904 with confirmation again ad non executa to William Lamb Muir).

Two further entries are for William Muir of Craigville (and surely linked to the above) who died 18, April 1917 - confirmation granted 7 July to William Lamb Muir. A further entry in 1919 has an eik granted.

Also note that there are entries for the above in the England and Wales Probate Calendar.

William
Indeed. I have found all three deaths in the SP index (James 1904, Jessie 1909, William 1917), but not the survivor/widower/executor WLM who is the one I am interested in. But thank you for checking the later Calendar of Confirmations and Calendar of Probate.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 06 April 18 01:54 BST (UK) »
Well kiddo I found Anna's obit.

MUIR . —On 24th September , Anna Scott , dearly loved wife of William Lamb Muir, Craigville, Kirkcudbright. Sadly missed, Funeral tomorrow (Thursday) at 2:30 to Galtway Churchyard , Kirkcudbright . This is the only intimation and invitation.

Perhaps William is there as well which should be fairly easy to determine.

Don
Let me know if you want copies of the originals.
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 April 18 08:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Don. That's great. Which paper was it in?

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 06 April 18 09:49 BST (UK) »
It was in the 25th Sept 1929 edition of The Scotsman.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .