Author Topic: Dating photo, please? Clark(?) Family, Dundee  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Dating photo, please? Clark(?) Family, Dundee
« on: Thursday 05 April 18 10:50 BST (UK) »
We would like to date the photograph, please, and if possible, any guesses of the ages of the subjects would be greatly appreciated, please.

The photo is from our Tierney family photos.  The back of the photo was identified as the Clark family but I'm not too sure that is correct.

The girl/lady on our left appears to be wearing a cross?  Any suggestions of the significance would also be appreciated, please.  Our family doesn't know anything about this family (if they are the Clarks), so any comments about the photo would be very helpful.  Thank you, Lisa

Note:  The file is too large to post with two attachments.  I will post the back side of the photo shortly.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dating photo, please? Clark(?) Family, Dundee
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 April 18 17:18 BST (UK) »
Back of photo.  Thank you.  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 April 18 17:22 BST (UK) »
Very early 1870s, I think. I thought, first of all that it was late 1860s but it seems to have curved corners.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 April 18 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget:

Thank you very much for your reply.  I believe that is too late for the Clarks but it certainly fits in with the same time frame that is in the Tierney collection.  Perhaps the families (and in this case, possibly cousins?) had photographs taken before the Tierneys left Scotland.  :-\ Thank you again, Gadget.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 April 18 17:54 BST (UK) »
What time frame would the Clarks be? 

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 April 18 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget:

My husband's ancestor, Patrick Tierney, was born c1839 in Ireland and lived in Scotland until 1869.  His mother was Mary Clark.  I believe his parents were deceased by the time he married, in 1869.  A witness to his wedding was a Michael Clark.  I am now looking for a thread I posted about the Clarks to see if the children's ages match the children in the photo.  I believe at the time that I posted the thread we were guessing about different Clark families in the Scottish 1871 census.

So, his mother could have been born around 1810 and cousins could have been born around 1840 (give or take 20 years).  Thank you again, Gadget, for your interest and questions.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 April 18 18:09 BST (UK) »
Late 60s early 70s would be my guess.. I thought the corners looked straight but a little worn.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 April 18 18:14 BST (UK) »
Late 60s early 70s would be my guess.. I thought the corners looked straight but a little worn.
Carol

The image of the  back seems to show curves but I seem to recall that Jim said that some were curved earlier that 70s on one of Jennifer's Gibson pics so I'll go with my first hunch - late 60s.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 April 18 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Treetotal Carol:

Thank you for your thoughts as well.  The girl on our left looks familiar - like she could be Patrick's sister, but Patrick was supposedly orphaned and lived in a Scottish orphanage (dates unknown) so this photograph isn't making sense to me right now.  We also never heard about Patrick having any siblings.

Would there be any guesses on the ages, please, and if the baby might be a male or female?

Note: Posting this before reading the next reply.