Author Topic: Dating photo, please? Clark(?) Family, Dundee  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Dating photo, please? Clark(?) Family, Dundee
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 April 18 18:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Gadget.  That is a perfect fit for when the other Tierney photographs were taken.  Now I just need to find out who the people could have been.  :-\   :)

Looking at the Tierney thread, Patrick's parents were shown as deceased in 1869 and his wife's parents were also shown as deceased.  Perhaps these were Patrick's cousins.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 April 18 19:11 BST (UK) »
Late 60s early 70s would be my guess.. I thought the corners looked straight but a little worn.
Carol

The image of the  back seems to show curves but I seem to recall that Jim said that some were curved earlier that 70s on one of Jennifer's Gibson pics so I'll go with my first hunch - late 60s.

If you look at the top left corner and bottom right Gadget they look square...but whatever...I did say late 60s early 70s and I think Gibson was the exception rather than the rule  :-\

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 April 18 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol:  Thank you for your interest and suggestions.  I think the family wanted to keep their mystery going, why have four square corners or four rounded corners when it appears that you could have two of each?  ;)

Patrick and his wife have been a challenge to find prior to 1869, but maybe that's part of the reason why I like the couple so much.  While in search of them, I've learned a little bit about Scotland and a little bit about life in the 1860s.  I am always very interested to learn about history, places and day-to-day events, so this quest has been challenging but exciting and fun.  Thank you, Carol.  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 April 18 20:54 BST (UK) »
Probably the angle that the back was photographed, Carol. We are agreed that it's very late 60s to early 70s.

I've just found Alexander Roger (tenant),Photographer in the 1865 valuation Rolls, for Dundee, Address was  South Tay Street, described as a Shop Saloon.  Looks as if he paid £16 in rates.

By 1875, he was at 42 South Tay Street, paying £12 in rates.

Interestingly a Charles Roger, mason seemed to own quite a lot of properties in the Street.

So .....
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 April 18 21:07 BST (UK) »
Great find, Gadget.  Looking at a current map, South Tay is about a 10 minute walk from where Patrick lived, so it certainly was in his neighbourhood.  Perhaps Clark relatives were also living in the neighbourhood.  Thank you for finding all of the information.  Every little bit helps (and provides the little details with which I thoroughly enjoy).

Update:  Perhaps this is the Roger family in 1861:
Alexander Roger, born c1848, Mason's son
Charles Roger, 226 Hawkhill, head, Mason

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 April 18 21:16 BST (UK) »
And this is what it was like around that time:

http://maps.nls.uk/view/74426931#zoom=6&lat=5455&lon=3508&layers=BT

I love old maps  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 April 18 21:24 BST (UK) »
While I know a bit about the hardships in Dundee around that time, I am not sure that I've seen an old map.  At any rate, I will add it to my collection.  Thank you for mentioning it, Gadget.

(I also like old maps - I find them interesting as well as informative given that some street names change with time.)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 July 22 14:53 BST (UK) »
Just linking to your new thread  :) (in case Gadget and Carol have any more observations about the clothing  :) )
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=863702.msg7333754
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 04 July 22 19:49 BST (UK) »
JenB, thank you for linking the threads.   :)