Author Topic: Arthur Dempsey, Liverpool  (Read 952 times)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
Arthur Dempsey, Liverpool
« on: Thursday 05 April 18 12:28 BST (UK) »
Arthur Dempsey (1823-1907) was a timber broker in Liverpool and living there when his son and daughter were born in 1856 and 1857.  We know from the baptismal records that Arthur's wife was Elizabeth.  She died on Christmas Day 1904.

I found the marriage of an Arthur Dempsey in Wandsworth in 1855; there was an Elizabeth Hinde on the same page of the register, but a relative says she's not the one.  Can anyone help me find evidence of whom Arthur did marry -- perhaps there was a newspaper announcement?
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Dempsey, Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 April 18 12:34 BST (UK) »
You haven't given the names of the children whose baptisms you found. If you look them up on the GRO website with a free search you should be able to find out the mother's maiden name.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 April 18 12:41 BST (UK) »
Looking at the 1871 census I see daughters Elinor M , 1858 , and Margaret , 1861.
 Checking GRO there are births for both of these in West Derby and Toxteth Park with mother's name HINDE.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 April 18 12:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your very swift reply, Christine.
Unfortunately I can't see how to search the indexes at that GRO web site: am I stupid, or is it inadequately signposted?

The son was Arthur Francis, b. 29 June 1856 and bapt. at St Bride, Toxteth, on 6 Aug.
But what you found does rather suggest that Elizabeth Hinde was the right wife, after all.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 April 18 12:47 BST (UK) »
Arthur Dempsey full bach merchant father James merchant
Elizabeth Hinde full sp father William Hinde solicitor

9 Oct 1855 at St Ann's Wandsworth

It appears the marriage you found is the correct one ?

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 April 18 12:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your very swift reply, Christine.
Unfortunately I can't see how to search the indexes at that GRO web site: am I stupid, or is it inadequately signposted?

If you follow the link I gave https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
, then select Order Certificates on line , then select Search the GRO historical birth certificates , which is in heavy type in the middle of the page , you will then be asked to log in ( Or register if you haven't already ) and then you will be able to search.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 April 18 13:00 BST (UK) »
I'm most grateful to you, Christine.  I'd been using FreeBMD, but it seems that hasn't caught up with the release of mothers' names.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 April 18 13:13 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD is transcribed by volunteers, from the GRO Indexes.
There are no Mother's Maiden Names on those indexes until the latter half of 1911.

The GRO Searchable Indexes have been done by GRO staff, by revisiting the GRO Registers, and adding in Mother's Maiden Names from July 1837 until 1916.

2 very different databases; using 2 very different workforces! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 April 18 14:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the explanation, KGarrad.

But has the GRO web site now rendered FreeBMD redundant, or is it advisable to search both? 
I think those old indexes contain quite a lot of errors.