Author Topic: Enquiry about Millers & Campbells of Northumberland  (Read 780 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Enquiry about Millers & Campbells of Northumberland
« on: Thursday 05 April 18 13:02 BST (UK) »

I have been researching Jacob Miller and his wife Jane (nee Anderson) of Northumberland.

Since finding the Millers' grave at Earsdon, I am now trying to find out more on other people who are named on their gravestone. This is a duplicate post but I have decided to put this as a look up as this may increase my chances of more people seeing this specific request for help.  See:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=787396.msg6471128

This is the inscription:

SACRED
TO THE MEMORY OF
MICHAEL MILLER
NEW YORK
THE BELOVED HUSBAND OF ISABELLA MILLER
WHO DIED JUNE 10TH 1873 AGED 37 YEARS
HERE RESTS A HUSBAND WHO WAS KIND
AND OF A TENDER LOVING MIND
HE LIVED A LIFE OF FAITHFUL LOVE
IN HOPE TO DWELL IN HEAVEN ABOVE
SARAH THE NIECE OF THE ABOVE MICHAEL
AND DAUGHTER OF JACOB AND JANE MILLER
WHO DIED FEB 10th? 1874
AGED 16 YEARS
THE ABOVE JANE DIED FEB 27 1895
AGED 63 YEARS
THE ABOVE JACOB MILLER DIED JAN 23 1900 AGED ? YEARS
ISABELLA CAMPBELL
BELOVED WIFE OF JOHN CAMPBELL OF NEW YORK
DIED DEC 26 1907 AGED 62 YEARS

I know who Jacob, Jane and Sarah are.

I do believe Michael would have been Jacob's younger brother.  However, does anyone know anything concerning the Isabella who was his wife?  Also, does anyone have any idea who the mentioned John and Isabella Campbell may have been? I do think because they are mentioned on the grave stone they will be relations.

The information on the burial register records that Isabella Campbell's home address was Harbottle's Buildings, New York.

Her Evening Chronicle death (Friday, December 27, 1907) notice doesn't seem to yield any clues and she had no memoriam notice the year after death:

'CAMPBELL.- At New York, on the 26th, aged 62 years, Isabella, beloved wife of John Campbell, hawker.  Interment at Earsdon on Sunday 29th at 3 pm.  Friends please accept this intimation.'

I believe I have found John and Isabella in Annitsford, in a caravan in 1891.

I would really appreciate hearing from you if you may know more.  Thank you.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Enquiry about Millers & Campbells of Northumberland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 April 18 15:03 BST (UK) »
You've probably already seen this but this could be Michael and Isabella in 1861?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7VF-D8R

ADDED

and in 1871
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V5BF-QMC

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 April 18 15:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Boo!  I haven't come the first one but I have come across the second one.

I don't have my records to hand right now but I wonder if the little girl might be a daughter of Jacob?  Or another brother, perhaps, such as George?  I will have to check this out.  I wonder if Michael married in Morpeth or whether he may have gone to Lamberton like Jacob for a runaway marriage?

Thank you for your help- much appreciated. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 April 18 15:17 BST (UK) »
This is a duplicate post but I have decided to put this as a look up as this may increase my chances of more people seeing this specific request for help. 

Can I suggest you also put a link to this thread on your other one, otherwise you might get people unknowingly doing duplicate look-ups  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 April 18 15:32 BST (UK) »
I have now done this.   :)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 April 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
A 'possible' newspaper report about John and Isabella Campbell:

Morpeth Herald 4th June 1892

Assaults at Felton
John Campbell, hawker, Morpeth, and Isabella Campbell, his wife, were charged with assaulting Anthony Hutchinson, at Felton, on May 4th. A cross-summons was taken out against Anthony Hutchinson charging him with assaulting John and Isabella Campbell, at the same time and place. — Mr Webb appeared to prosecute. — The defendants, Campbell, did not appear. — Anthony Hutchinson said he was driving home on the day in question, and saw some dogs ranging in a plantation.  He got out, and saw the dog carrying a rabbit, and the defendant , John Campbell, whistled off the dog, and said he might never mind as the dog was bringing a rabbit. John Campbell then got hold of him and knocked him down, and then assaulted him severely.  When he got up the woman poked a stick in his eye and made it bleed. He never did anything to either of the Campbells. The Bench fined each of the Campbells 20s and costs. The cross-summons was dismissed.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 April 18 16:22 BST (UK) »
Wow!  Thanks for this Boo!

My gut feeling is that these will be the Campbell's who I am trying to research.  He was a hawker according to Isabella's death notice too.