Author Topic: Jean Milne 1794 to ?  (Read 2375 times)

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jean Milne 1794 to ?
« on: Thursday 05 April 18 16:17 BST (UK) »
I am currently researching my 3 x great grandmother Jean Milne who I think was born in 1794 in Rhynie & Essie Aberdeenshire. Parents Alexander Milne & Christain Cummine.
I know she married George Kelman in 1814 & had 4 children in Rhynie & Essie between 1814 & 1824 (so am assuming that is where she was born)
The 1841 census shows her husband George living at Belhinney, Rhynie & Essie with his father William & his daughter Christian but there is no mention of Jean.
I am assuming she died between 1824 ( youngest son James) & 1841 when the census was taken.
Several family trees show her as dying at Keig, Aberdeenshire in 1841 but I have found an entry from a booklet about Kirkyards of Keig & the Jean Milne there looks to have been married to Peter McCombie.
I am trying to find a death or burial information as I do not trust family trees to be always correct.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jean Milne 1794 to ?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 April 18 17:43 BST (UK) »

JEAN   MILNE   GEORGE KELMAN   Married 9/04/1814   Rhynie and Essie
Children: Alexander 1814, Christen 1818, George 1820, James 1824   

1841 – George, Christen & Jean age 9 assume granddaughter. James age 17 in the area. George junior not on 1841 but in area 1851. Alexander?

However there are no death records for Rhynie and Essie 1794 – 1854 on SP, so Jean could have died there. It might be possible to find a burial book at the local history library?

Jean Milne was a common name and there were a large number of marriages.

A Peter McCombie married a Jean Milne Dec 1789 Lonmay, they had 3 daughters, 1 son, 1 unknown born there

Another Peter McCombie also married a Jean Milne 10 April 1826 Coull.
No children noted in Scotland.   

No death records for Keig 1774 – 1854 on SP. So the record for Jean buried there probably came from the booklet.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 April 18 18:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Colin
I have a list of all the Jean/Jane Miln/Milnes who died between 1824 & 1841 so i will have to go through them & try & work out which ones died near to Rhymie & Essie & hopefully one of them will be the answer.
I will also try to get up there sometime to have a good search in local libraries for any more info.
There was another son William who was born in 1816 which I have just found out about.

Alan

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 February 20 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I have just had a thought from another source that a Jane Milne died in Keith 27/4/1841 which was just before the 1841 census.
This could possibly be correct & that George was staying with his father, daughter & grandson at Rhynie at the time of the census.
Does anyone have any information regarding this Jane which could contradict my reasoning.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 February 20 17:45 GMT (UK) »
The online index to the MI booklets published by ANESFHS confirms that the Jean Milen in Keig is on a stone that also mentions Peter McCombie.

SP has a burial of Jean Milne in Keith on 27 April 1841, but there's no corresponding listing on LIBINDX, so there isn't a stone. But why would someone who spent all their life in Rhynie and Essie suddenly go and die in Keith? It's not exactly next door, and the rest of the family were still in Rhynie and Essie, so it doesn't make sense.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 February 20 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian,
I am just trying to eliminate any instances where I can & all suggestions are welcome.
At present I am looking at a death between 1824 (last child born shown on OPR) & 1841 census.
Various trees have another 2 daughters born in 1826 & 1831 which if true would narrow the search even more but no one that I have contacted has any details of births & I cannot see them on the OPR which is strange if all the other children are shown.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 February 20 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Various trees have another 2 daughters born in 1826 & 1831 which if true would narrow the search even more but no one that I have contacted has any details of births & I cannot see them on the OPR which is strange if all the other children are shown.
Maybe Jean, aged 9 in 1841, is the one born in 1831?

On the other hand, the FreeCEN transcription of the 1841 has three separate households containing a Kelman at Belhinney. One has Willm Kelman, 85, George Kelman, 50, Christian Kelman, 20, and George McLean, 2. The second has Christian Grant, 80, Margt Milne, 50 and Jean Kelman, 9. The third has George Meldrum, 55, Jane Meldrum, 60 and Ann Kelman, 15. James Kelman, 17, is at Smithstown and Margt Kelman, 40, is at Bruntland.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian,
I have not used Freecen before but looking at what you have said it looks really helpful.
The entry with Willm Kelman 85, George Kelman 50, Christian Kelman 20 & George McLean are the correct ones as far as my ancestors go with George being my 3 x great grandfather.
Looking at another tree I saw that Jane 1831 married a John Shand in 1860 at Fordyce, Banffshire. So I took the plunge & ordered a copy of the marriage cert. from S/P which shows her father as George Kelman Feur (I think) & her mother as Margaret Kelman, maiden name Milne, deceased. Could this be a mistake or an alternative for Jean. Jane Shand allegedly died in 1917 in Toronto, Canada.
Interestingly one of the other families mentioned in the 1841 census at Belhinnie had a Jean Kelman 9, living with Margt. Milne 50.
Could there be a connection or coincidence as I could not see a marriage for a Margaret Milne & George Kelman between 1810 & 1830.
The other daughter Ann born 1826 apparently died in 1910 in Glasgow having worked as a servant/maid in Oyne Aberdeenshire most of her life. This is from another tree again (with census transcripts) & also the death register does not show a mother's maiden name so I am not sure if it will help as her parents may not have been known to the informant. (Curiosity will probably get the better of me later & I will get the death cert.)
If Jean/Jane was the daughter of George Kelman & Jean Milne then my search for a death for Jean Milne will now be narrowed down to between 1831 & 1841. Apparently there are cash books which may have an entry for a mortcloth at Rhynie between 1823 & 1835 so fingers crossed I may get lucky there.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 16:54 GMT (UK) »
the marriage cert. from S/P which shows her father as George Kelman Feur (I think) & her mother as Margaret Kelman, maiden name Milne, deceased. Could this be a mistake or an alternative for Jean.
It's possible.

Jane Shand allegedly died in 1917 in Toronto, Canada.
What does the Canadian death certificate say her parents' names were?

The other daughter Ann born 1826 apparently died in 1910 in Glasgow having worked as a servant/maid in Oyne Aberdeenshire most of her life. This is from another tree again (with census transcripts) & also the death register does not show a mother's maiden name [/quote]If you mean the deaths index on SP, mothers' maiden names were not originally included in the index until 1974. SP has been gradually adding mothers' maiden names to the early death indexes but they have only got to about 1870 so there are about 100 years of deaths with no mother's maiden surname in the index. In most cases the information is on the certificate so if I were you I would get that certificate.