Author Topic: Abbreviations  (Read 220 times)

Offline Rootes75

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Abbreviations
« on: Thursday 05 April 18 19:46 BST (UK) »
My Great Uncle has the abbreviation 'PSH' on his RAF index card, I have searched all my references but can't come up with much.

Any ideas?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Abbreviations
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 April 18 09:22 BST (UK) »
An idea - see this link to the very informative RAFcommands site http://www.rafcommands.com/reference/air-78-and-finding-raf-other-ranks-service-number/

About half way down the page "Post war the bottom of the card contains a few letter groups which were used as a double check of service number (in a similar manner to CRC in modern computer communications)".

(And a similar way to the 3 digit code on the back of a credit card checks the long number - don't ask me how!)

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.