Author Topic: Happy 'Plan Your Epitaph Day!'  (Read 2958 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Happy 'Plan Your Epitaph Day!'
« on: Friday 06 April 18 09:37 BST (UK) »
 Hi Everyone,

Did you know it is officially 'Plan Your Epitaph Day' today?  See the link.

https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/plan-your-epitaph-day/

Well, I don't think I am quite in the frame of mind to plan my epitaph just yet.  Although, when visiting a local cemetery the other day I did come across a grave and thought, wow!  when I go I want one just like that!  It was obviously one for a nature lover.  It was comprised a patch of small blue flowers, bees were busy gathering nectar from these.  There was a lovely little bird bath in the corner of this flower patch grave too.

I am adding some more links showing the inscriptions of some people who obviously had a sense of humour! ;D ;D

https://www.boredpanda.com/funny-tombstones-epitaphs/

https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-of-the-funniest-epitaphs

https://www.et.byu.edu/~tom/jokes/Funny_Epitaphs.html

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 'Plan Your Epitaph Day!'
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 April 18 11:48 BST (UK) »
I have been laughing out loud at those------! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I want to be there at my funeral-- well I know I will be but in a managerial capacity.
I want jokes, Christmas carols,nice readings and unusual music.
I want to read my own eulogy,and play the organ.( I can`t do that yet and at 81 in May I ought to do something about it  ASAP.
You will gather a lot of my life has been spent multi tasking,baking ,washing ironing ,looking after grandchildren,answering the phone and taking the dog for a walk ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

Well it felt like that,but I enjoyed it all especially the grandchildren.
  I have already told my friends to bring refreshments as to date I can`t get fewer than 32 hymns.
I`ll have to go, there is a lot to do.
                                                 Viktoria.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 April 18 11:55 BST (UK) »
' Dont spend time grieving
Spend time living'
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 April 18 13:04 BST (UK) »
Great post Viktoria!  Yours sounds like a life very well lived.  I know your baking reference posts have often made my mouth water - particularly last Easter weekend - hot cross buns and lemon drizzle cake.  :D

Christmas carols?  Are you planning a December exit? ;D ;) Or do you want these at any time  you go, such as Easter? ;D. Well, why not, it's your funeral as they say. ;D. Your managerial style funeral makes me smile.  32 hymns!  What a hoot!  It sounds like your funeral is going to be a whole day affair. ;) ;D.

Well, I'll not interrupt you further; it sounds like you have a lot to plan ...   ;);D  ;D ;D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 April 18 13:10 BST (UK) »
I agree with the sentiment David.  I wouldn't want others to be  miserable after I die and be grieving all the time.

Maybe perhaps some heart-wrenching sobbing on the day and this could continue up to and on the day of the funeral. ;) ;D

But other than that, yes, life should be for living and not grieving. :)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 April 18 18:29 BST (UK) »
River Tyne Lass, I used to love hearing the children at the schools where I worked singing:-
      "  See Him lying on a bed of straw", it is a Calypso carol and oh how the children sang.
I did the costumes for the Nativity play  productions and loved every minute.
Christmas time was  lovely when all my family were able to get back home to spend it with us,my O.H really revelled in it all.
 The hymns  remind me of my childhood as an evacuee in Shropshire,a very happy time .
 We were regular chapel-goers -I can still hear the men singing the top tenor parts now.
I`d love some jokes and laughter and some lovely music.Enya,all dreamy.
But it is up to me to organise it all.I don`t want it all sad - daft would be better.
Viktoria.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 April 18 18:34 BST (UK) »
Some are dying to get into cemeteries. Me, I'm taking my time.

Malky

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 April 18 20:18 BST (UK) »
Malky, I see we think alike on this.

I'm also in no rush to enter such a grave situation. ;) :)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 April 18 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Viktoria,

Yes that is a lovely song for children, especially.  I agree that it is better to plan on having a happy element to a funeral rather than letting sadness overshadow everything.

I like your idea of having carols and loads of hymns as I love singing.  I like singing at Church because I can sing at the top of my lungs and with gusto.  I just cannot do that at home - I'd be frightened of getting an ASBO served for being a noisy neighbour. 

So I wouldn't mind going through a long list of hymns/songs but I can imagine some people thinking 'Oh no, not another one.' ;)

I am glad to hear your evacuation experience was a happy one.  It must have been so hard for so many children having to leave their family and go into often completely different environments - and traumatic too for the parents having to send their children away.