Author Topic: Happy 'Plan Your Epitaph Day!'  (Read 2945 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Happy 'Plan Your Epitaph Day!'
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 April 18 21:13 BST (UK) »
Yes ,I was very lucky and really did have a happy time.
I`m still in contact with the descendants of those kind people and was at a funeral only the week before this,of one.
Funeraljoke:-
A man had fallen out with his family and instructed his wife to draw out all his money and put it in his coffin when he was cremated.
Funeral over and people  asked had she carried out his instructions --"Yes,of course,the trouble was there was so much it would not allgo in the coffin so I wrote him a cheque instead."
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;DViktoria.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 April 18 22:34 BST (UK) »
Last year I was at the funeral of a close friend. There was a "Sookie Sweetie" on each chair in the Crem. This had been pre arranged by our friend with his family as he said there was nothing worse than having a dry throat at a funeral ;D ;D  His 4 children, their partners and some of his 13 grandchildren all played a part in the service. It ended with the youngest being lifted up at the rostrum, holding up a drawing and shouting "We love you granddad".

My daughter and her O/H have decided not to have a funeral as such but just organise a "bun fight" instead. "Oh am I invited"  I asked -" course you are mum she answered" Well I do love those family do's.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 April 18 22:40 BST (UK) »
People come up with fantastic ideas,if they help the mourners I`m in total agreement.
Not everyone wants a religious service,and things are getting more relaxed.
If it is sincere that is all that matters.
                                                          Viktoria.

Offline gazania

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 April 18 01:26 BST (UK) »
OH's nephew was a knockabout and popular sort of bloke.  His funeral was a dignified, warm with lots of affectionate humour.  At the conclusion there was a feeling of sadness with the last sad but affectionate words.  But as we started to file out of the service, the loudspeakers roared out Monty Python's "Always look on the Bright Side of Life".  Nephew had the last laugh.  We were soon skipping our way to the car park.
ALDERMAN, Bucks
BELK, Yorkshire, London
CARLING, Bedfordshire
CUNDITH,CUNDILL, Yorkshire, PALIN. Lincolnshire
FOX, Essex; Camberwell Surrey
LANE, Cork IE;Askeaton LIM, Liverpool, Clifton, Bristol
VOLLER, Surrey
WALL Clonlara Co Clare Ireland
WAREHAM, Esher, Surrey; London
WINCH, Surrey

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 April 18 06:10 BST (UK) »
Love it Gazania 🌹🌹Yes indeed funerals have certainly changed over the years!  While of course we still mourn our loved ones, funerals are now more of a "Celebration Of Life"!  Although of course it doesn't take away the sorrow, but it certainly helps to hear family and friends talking about their loved ones, telling humourous stories and remembrances of some of the sometimes hilarious events in their lives.

Little ones become involved too, talking quite freely about the things they did with the granny or grandad, singing them a song or reading a Poem.

I recall taking my wee Grandaughter to her NAN's (my mother-in-law's) funeral. She had drawn a picture for her, and wanted to give it to her "so Nanna can take it to Heaven"! We went early, and were the first ones there, apart from the Minister, by the entrance with her helpers.  The casket of course was already at the front!  Lovely Flowers everywhere, and soft music was playing.

Little one's ears pricked up with the music, her eyes were everywhere, and a real look of wonder on her face.  "Is this heaven Nanny"?  Then there was a wee giggle from the helpers, and the Minister said, "no sweetie, this is the place where we can all say goodbye to your Nanna, a bit like a bus stop really!  After we've all said goodbye, sung her some songs, and said some very special things to her, she will be going to heaven in a big white car!  Wee one took it all in her stride, then said, " Can I take my picture up to Nanna now?  That was ok, so we walked quietly up to the casket, she stood there quietly looking around, then all of a sudden she knocked on it then said in quite a loud voice ""NANNA, NANNA, Wake Up, can you hear the Angels singing for you?  Wake up, I brought you a special drawing I did for you to take to heaven with you!  A few giggles again, as people had started to arrive and were taking it all in!  All was well.  Nanna was going to be a star in the sky! 

But Poor Nanna on fireworks night a month or so later, when skyrockets were flying around, little one got very upset at the skyrockets, she was scared that they were "going to hit my Nanna"! 

Still a popular story that comes up from time to time!

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 April 18 11:02 BST (UK) »
Attended a funeral yesterday where the coffin was carried out of the church to the music of Tina Turner's "Simply the Best".  Some of the family were dancing to it!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 April 18 11:31 BST (UK) »
As the curtains close I would like to go out with a Brass Band playing "Blaze Away"  :D
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 April 18 11:58 BST (UK) »
A  zealous locksmith died of late,
And did arrive at Heaven's Gate,
He stood without, and would not knock,
Because he meant to pick the lock.

Anon: Camden's Remains 1623 (fromThe Second Book of Insults Nancy McPhee 1981)
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 07 April 18 13:42 BST (UK) »
Just when I thought this grave yard humour had been finished with and buried ... I see it has been exhumed again!  ..  ;D ;D  ;D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner