Author Topic: Flu epidemic 1918/19  (Read 1773 times)

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Flu epidemic 1918/19
« on: Saturday 07 April 18 08:32 BST (UK) »
Is there any way of finding out to what extent the flu epidemic at the end of WW1 affected different areas of the UK?
There has been rather a good series about the war on radio4, including one program about this flu.
Clearly it ravaged the entire world, being spread by soldiers returning to all parts of the old empire.
I'd be interested to know in detail how it affected different parts of Britain.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Flu epidemic 1918/19
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 April 18 08:42 BST (UK) »
See Supplement to the registrar-general's eighty-first report. Report on the mortality from influenza in England and Wales during the epidemic of 1918-19   https://tinyurl.com/yacltamr

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 April 18 09:10 BST (UK) »

Clearly it ravaged the entire world.

My grandfather here in NZ  1918, died from it leaving three young children.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 April 18 12:30 BST (UK) »
When I hear people say "I had flu on the weekend", I tend to go a bit mad. I mock them till they admit they had a slight cold. I often go on for days about their miraculous powers of recovery.

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 April 18 17:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stan. Really useful data and charts. Was looking for info about West Yorks, as I haven't come across any deaths from flu at that time in my family : semi-rural location may hve shielded them a bit?
I once saw a documentary about this epidemic. It was suggested that it began or at least took hold  in ahuge military transit camp at Etaples on the north coast of France. Most soldiers passed through the camp as they were being demobbed at the end of the war. Hence the spread throughout the world. The program traced the day by day spread of the disease, for example in Australia, as the troups came home and travelled by rail back to their small home towns. The lads were greeted by large gatherings of folk, at stations and at welcome parties - thus the virus spread rapidly amongst the local populations. Outbreaks were mapped along railway lines from seaports. Heartbreaking.
Yes, Kiltpin. Real flu is quite a different thing from a bad cold. Totally incapacitating. Not sufficiently emphasised these days is the serious  need to make ill people drink large amount of fluids. Viruses and fevers rapidly deplete the body of fluid, kidneys pack up with fatal results.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 April 18 22:15 BST (UK) »
  It was suggested that it began or at least took hold  in a huge military transit camp at Etaples on the north coast of France.

"Where the 1917-1919 Spanish Influenza Pandemic began remains uncertain, however it was so called because Spain (notably Madrid) was the first serious point of attack.(some 8 million Spaniards fell ill in 1917-19). It struck military bases throughout Europe."  from the "Encyclopedia of Plague and Pestilence".

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 April 18 22:26 BST (UK) »
When I hear people say "I had flu on the weekend", I tend to go a bit mad. I mock them till they admit they had a slight cold. I often go on for days about their miraculous powers of recovery.

Regards

Chas

Off topic but flying into Cyprus on holiday, plane lands, elderly lady in the row in front of us remains seated. We asked if she needed any help. “Oh, no, I’ll be fine, they’ll come and get me,” she said. “Although I am amazed at the number of people who need help getting on the plane, seem to have miraculously recovered by the time they land in Cyprus!”
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 April 18 16:57 BST (UK) »
The name "Spanish Flu" seems to have come about because the first reports of it came from neutral Spain.

Reporting restrictions because of hostilities meant that the real epicentre was hidden from the general public. Analysis has shown that Etaples was the location of the first cases, and that it is likely that the strain was transferred from birds, probably chickens. Poultry was brought to the area from all over the place to feed the masses of troops.

My dad's uncle died of the flu at Etaples on 3rd December 1918. He had actually been on leave in the UK when the Armistice was signed, and returned to France on the 17th November.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 April 18 17:25 BST (UK) »
Etaples is now rather a nice little town with excellent seafood and also an interesting Corderie building- very long where ropes were made in the old days. I have the impression the building has now been redeveloped.
All that stretch of France's north coast is worth a visit. Quite a few small WW1 and 2 cemeteries and memorials within easy reach.
Wimereux is a lovely seaside town, the Hotel du Centre is excellent with superb restaurant.
All very different from 1918!