Author Topic: Samuel family in Canada mystery  (Read 13709 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel family in Canada mystery
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 00:07 BST (UK) »
Can I suggest that in the meantime you might e-mail the cemetery to see if they can give you further information on the 1980 Helen M McIntosh.

My gut feeling is that she may have remarried to a McArthur - unless you can find another John McDonald relative called Helen  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline ryan37

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 03:57 BST (UK) »
Have already tried that’s why I have asked here about newspaper obituary’s , as I have now a burial date , I received the burial date from
The cemetery all I need now is extra details that could confirm it is her ,
 Thanks again

Ryan

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 04:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I had tried to find the Helen who died in 1980 using a name search....that was unsuccessful.  Thanks for the date of burial.   I have been looking through both the Toronto Star and Globe and Mail obituaries from Oct 23 1980 to Oct 29 1980.   

Oct 25, 1980, there is an obituary for Helen (Nell) McIntosh.  She died in Ajax on Oct 24 1980.  She is buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery.  She is the Aunt of Betty Martyn, Margaret Frayne, J and A McIntosh and G and D Peech.  It says she is the Nana to several named people.  No mention of her husband or children.   ???.   

RK

Offline ryan37

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 04:14 BST (UK) »
Very interesting think that’s about as close as i have heard ? Was it nell? Or Neil? She was known as Nell , ( Helen) thanks for the efforts in searching for her . I wonder if this is her but fair point no mention of husband or children

Ryan

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 05:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I thought it was Neil at first, but when I looked more closely, I can see that it says "Nell".  Just to be sure, I looked at the obituary printed in the Globe and Mail paper and in the Toronto Star paper.  The one in the Globe is a little clearer... and it definitely says "Nell". 

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 05:35 BST (UK) »
Obituary for Margaret Frayne in the Toronto Star, Feb 9 1995 page D14.   She died in Toronto on Feb 5 1995.  Cousin of G Peech and J McIntosh of New Jersey ...(not sure if both are from New Jersey, or just J McIntosh??).  Aunt of 4 ... all with surname Peech.

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 05:41 BST (UK) »
Obituary for Elizabeth (Betty) Martyn in the Toronto Star, 22 Aug 1994 page E6.    She died in Toronto on Aug 20 1994.  Cousin of Margaret Frayne, G Peech and J McIntosh of New Jersey.  Aunt of the same 4 Peech children.

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 06:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Looking at the obits for Margaret Frayne and Betty Martyn again... each obit says that the lady in question is the aunt of 4 Peech children (presumably the children of G and D Peech). 

In the obituary for Helen McIntosh, it says she is Nana to 4 named children (only first names given....no surname here).  The first names of these 4 children are the same as the Peech children listed in Margaret and Betty's obits.  So - looks like "Nana" in Helen's case means "great aunt". 

I hope these obits can help you either rule out this Helen (who died in 1980) or confirm that she is "your" Helen.

RK

Offline ryan37

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 08:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your contributions I really appreciate your help these are good clues to figure out

This is one I think needs worked on , it is so difficult to put a tick next to her as we know nothing after 1928, Sandra made a fair point about the Mcarthur but could this be a spelling error ? We really don’t know unless we find something with her maiden name or her hometown mentioned I guess which is quite frustrating as it’s sad that someone’s existence and passing is just lost through nobody’s blame it happens , I appreciate I have made good progress and want to continue to work on this but this is only possible with help and guidance from people like yourselfs , please excuse my determination as I know it may look like I’m going on and on but if people are willing to help I will work on

Many thanks

Ryan