Author Topic: Death William Robert Caulfield, Mar 1, 1876, Ballymoghan House  (Read 3141 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Death William Robert Caulfield, Mar 1, 1876, Ballymoghan House
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 April 18 08:16 BST (UK) »
His death notice (basic details), was in the 4th March edition of the Belfast Weekly News, but no obvious obit.

Brief mentions of Ballymughan/Ballymoghan House associated with Caulfields in later years though, such as a Robert Caulfield in 1916 and a William Caulfield in 1928 etc.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 April 18 08:51 BST (UK) »
When a widowed Nancy Caulfield of Lisnamorrow, aged 93, died in 1903, her death was registered by her 'niece', Margaret Jane Caulfield of Ballymoghan.

There was a Margaret Jane Caulfield born at Ballymoghan in 1881 to a Robert Caulfield and Annie Mary Porter.

If this Nancy was William's widow and if this Margaret Jane was the one who registered the death (and certainly, there was a Margaret Jane at Ballymoghan in 1901, with parents Robert and Annie http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Ballymoghan/Ballymoghan__Beg_/1531985/ ), given that you believe Robert was potentially a son of William and Nancy, then Margaret would have been a granddaughter rather than a niece. I suppose it could, however, have potentially been a different Margaret Jane or, simply, her relationship was described incorrectly.

Nancy at Lisnamorrow in 1901, with daughter Rose Anna:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Ballyronan/Lisnamorrow/1532394/
so it would seem, based on your earlier mention of Rose Anna, that it was William's widow.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 April 18 11:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone.  Yes, Margaret Jane’s relationship was probably described incorrectly. I did have the children of Robert and Annie Mary Porter and saw her birth. So I am thinking it is correct that Robert was a son of William. And Rose Anna a daughter although her age is in question. Either that or Nancy’s age in question. Thanks again
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 April 18 02:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks hallmark. Great idea..
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 April 18 20:12 BST (UK) »
I have emailed Anne Caulfield of Ballymoghan House but no  reply as yet.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 19 May 18 21:09 BST (UK) »
Still no answer from Ann Caulfield of Ballymoghan House although she is definitely related.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 March 19 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Just an update. I did stay at Ballymoghan House with Anne Caulfield in October last year. She is a wonderful  person and it was a wonderful stay. However,  the family has not done much genealogy. I am DNA related to her husband Thomas Caulfield whose mother was a Johnston, as was mine. Unfortunately, I didn't get any further with William and Nancy Caulfield, but haven't totally given up as yet. Can't remember if I asked for an obit  for their daughter Roseanna Streahorn who died Aug 22, 1927. If she had one of those lengthy obits that I have found for some other people, it might list tons of relatives and really help me out. Or her brother Robert who died Oct 29, 1930 in Magherafelt. Or her brother-in-law William Mitchell who died Nov 16, 1916 in Drumlamph.
Peggy