Author Topic: Parents of Elizabeth Ann powell  (Read 3147 times)

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Elizabeth Ann powell
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 19 April 18 23:04 BST (UK) »
Glyntaff in Pontypridd?

If you have references etc and they have a headstone I could try to photograph the grave for you

Offline Sewingmad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 20 April 18 20:17 BST (UK) »
That's very good of you. I have managed to get details and a map showing the site. I would very much like to visit if I get a chance.  If I am unable to visit I may well take you up on your kind offer.

Offline Sewingmad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 25 January 22 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I posted some time ago for help in tracing my Maternal Grandmother. Unfortunately I am still searching. I have recently accessed the 1921 Census for her which gives her age as 26 years and 9 months, which now suggests she was born in September 1894. Her date of birth on 1939 records was given as 1/9/1893. Her age at time of Marriage on 6/8/1918 was given as 23 on Marriage Certificate, no details of Father only shown as deceased on Certificate. Her birthplace on 1921 census was given as Upper Chapel, Breconshire. I believe it's possible she may have been working as a servant in 1911 for the Whittal family in Clyro Herefordshire but cannot find her birth record or 1901 Census. I have ruled out the Birth in 1895, maiden name Rumsey.
If anyone has any further suggestions I would be grateful as I have hit a brick wall. Many thanks

Online Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 28 January 22 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Looking back, I would tend to agree with Osprey's comment (post 10). There could be some connection between the Emily Powell at Llanfrynach maried name Havard, and whose son possibly looks to have married Louisa Shayler after 1939. Cynog is John Cynog Havard's middle name, and Cynog could well be a reference to Merthyr Cynog - Upper Chapel (seemed to be a thing for people to utilise the place of birth as a name).

There are a couple of illegitimate births in the Builth area which are worth considering, as well as a couple of baptisms. However none quite match the birth quarter, but could have resulted in a registration in the following quarter. Baptisms could have been some time after birth and of course the supposed year of birth may still not be correct as far as birth registration goes - if in  act the birth was actually registered.

There is also the possibility that the name was not necessarily Elizabeth Ann, but some variation or even slightly different name. I had a few in my tree who gave a different middle name to their birth certificate name - and of course all information passed down ultimately can be affected by memory. 

One possible was
Elizabeth ann illegit dau of Eliza a single woman of the Drover's Inn Builth baptised at Aberedw may 7 1893.
Her mother is Eliza Powell servant at the Drovers Arms High st, Builth  and is on the 1891 Census born 1865 at Upper Chapel    

But the GRO has her birth as POWELL, ELIZABETH  ANNE  NO Mother's maiden name
1893  M Quarter in THE BUILTH UNION  Volume 11B  Page 69

The closest matches might be

POWELL, ELIZA  ANN     JONES 
GRO Reference: 1892  S Quarter in THE BUILTH UNION  Volume 11B  Page 80

POWELL, LIZZIE       PRICE 
GRO Reference: 1894  S Quarter in BRECKNOCK  Volume 11B  Page 78

Besides the Eliza (mother) in the baptism above, there were a couple of possible Powell families in Upper Chapel that had daughters who could be candidates or a possible mother. There were  a couple of non- Powell surname families who had Powell nieces and or nephews with them at some point and also likewise in Llanfrynach , where there were also Powell families (maybe all related). Some of these were however non-conformists, so records not necessarily readily available and a couple of them had 10 children, so not a quick job to eliminate all female candidates.

Any other random family clues that would help ?

Offline Sewingmad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 30 January 22 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sam, you have given me a few births which I will try to follow up. One of the Electoral Register entries in Swansea shows her name as Nancy but other documents show her name as Elizabeth Ann. I have a photo of her at approximate late teens which seems to indicate she was a servant, this would be around 1911 census. Her marriage in 1918 gives address as Llanfrynach so think it's likely she was from that area originally. I really appreciate your help, and welcome any further ideas you may have.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 30 January 22 13:06 GMT (UK) »
the address on the marriage certificate is where she was living at the time of the marriage and may bear no relation to where she was born.

;)

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb