Author Topic: Parents of Robert Scott born abt 1817 in Potto, Yorkshire  (Read 2810 times)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Robert Scott born abt 1817 in Potto, Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 April 18 10:31 BST (UK) »
There is another baptism in Whorlton- John Scot 2 Jun 1822 - mother Mary and abode is Potto.  And a baptism for Miles Scot 18 Aug 1819 - mother Mary.

Ahh thats brilliant. Do you think then maybe rather than leave a blank for his fathers name on his marriage that Miles has put Miles as his father? The only one not accounted for is James

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 April 18 10:56 BST (UK) »
James Scott married Elizabeth Dale in Kildale by Banns 22 June 1773, both otp.

Baptisms Kildale
George son of James 4 Feb 1774
William son of James 8 Oct 1775
James son of James 21 Sept 1777
Sarah dau of James 2 Jan 1780
John son of James 18 Aug 1782
Mary dau of James, Labourer 22 May 1785
Betty dau of James, Labouere 10 Aug 1788
Aley dau of James, Labourer 14 Mar 1790
Miles son of James, Farmer 8 July 1792

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 April 18 11:12 BST (UK) »
James Scott married Elizabeth Dale in Kildale by Banns 22 June 1773, both otp.

Baptisms Kildale
George son of James 4 Feb 1774
William son of James 8 Oct 1775
James son of James 21 Sept 1777
Sarah dau of James 2 Jan 1780
John son of James 18 Aug 1782
Mary dau of James, Labourer 22 May 1785
Betty dau of James, Labouere 10 Aug 1788
Aley dau of James, Labourer 14 Mar 1790
Miles son of James, Farmer 8 July 1792

Emeltom

Thank you Emelton. So it looks like Mary was a single woman and Miles was her brother not her husband and the death certificate is the right one. If it wasnt for the fact that the death certificate had her fathers name James Scott I would still be thinking Miles must be the father and I`d be searchin for his marriage to Mary. Those baptisms have helped enotmously. Thankyou everyone  ;D

Offline emilygrant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 May 18 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, newbie here.
Been on a mission trying to research my 'dead ends' and came across this post.

Read through and.. If Mary is Miles' sister, are the children (I am descended from 1820 Miles and Bessy Hind (maiden name Coverdale)) Mary's or Miles'?

Maybe I missed something. It's been a long day...

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 May 18 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, newbie here.
Been on a mission trying to research my 'dead ends' and came across this post.

Read through and.. If Mary is Miles' sister, are the children (I am descended from 1820 Miles and Bessy Hind (maiden name Coverdale)) Mary's or Miles'?

Maybe I missed something. It's been a long day...

Hi Emily

From the Baptisms found by Milmoor and Emeltom Miles Scot was baptised 18th August 1819 in Whorlton mothers name Mary.  His brother Robert Scot was my 3 x great grandfather and he was baptised Oct 1816 in Whorlton mother Mary Scot a spinster abode Potto and John Scot was baptised 2nd June 1822 in Whorlton mother Mary and abode Potto. I think there was also a James Scott born 1817 in Potto.

I also thought that Miles born 1792 was Miles born 1819`s father because his name was on the marriage record to Bessy Hind on ancestry but when I ordered Miles Scott and Mary Scotts death certificates Mary`s certificate stated her fathers name was James Scott but James was also Miles Father so it seems Mary was`nt married

Offline emilygrant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 04 May 18 13:12 BST (UK) »
I get it, thanks!  :)

Offline davisnz

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 August 20 06:44 BST (UK) »
Hi All, I know that this thread has not been active for a while now, but I am still trying to clarify some of the confusion around Miles and Mary. (Others on Ancestry also seem to be quite confused). This thread has been a great help, but I still have a query around Mary (wife of Miles).

Robert was also my 3rd Great-Grandfather, so trying to track back his family.

As far as I have worked out, from this thread and other information, and I may still have it wrong :)

James and Elizabeth had children including Mary B c 1781 and Miles B c 1792
Miles appears to have married a Mary, but not sure exactly when
They had Robert, James, Miles (jr) and John

So I am trying to confirm the maiden name of Mary that married Miles and date of Marriage etc.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 September 20 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi All, I know that this thread has not been active for a while now, but I am still trying to clarify some of the confusion around Miles and Mary. (Others on Ancestry also seem to be quite confused). This thread has been a great help, but I still have a query around Mary (wife of Miles).

Robert was also my 3rd Great-Grandfather, so trying to track back his family.

As far as I have worked out, from this thread and other information, and I may still have it wrong :)

James and Elizabeth had children including Mary B c 1781 and Miles B c 1792
Miles appears to have married a Mary, but not sure exactly when
They had Robert, James, Miles (jr) and John

So I am trying to confirm the maiden name of Mary that married Miles and date of Marriage etc.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

Hi Steve

Robert Scott was my 3x great grandfather. Robert born 1816 in Potto yorkshire baptised in Whorlton Yorkshire in Oct 1816 and siblings James born abt 1817 in Potto (no baptsm found yet), Miles Scott born in Potto, baptised 18 Aug 1819 in Whorlton Yorkshire and John Scott born in Potto in 1822 baptised in Whorlton Yorkshire 2nd June 1822 were all born to single Mother Mary Scott who was born and baptised 6 Nov 1785 in Kildale Yorkshire to James Scott and Elizabeth Dale. I have a copy of her death certificate on ancestry and where it says rank or proffesion it has daughter of James Scott agricultural labourer. Miles Scott was her brother who was born and baptised 8 July 1792 in Kildale. I have a copy of his death also on ancestry. The other siblings are on my tree on ancestry. So the Robert, James, Miles and John will be those above. I think why it was confusing was because of on the Marriage of young Miles to Bessie Hind/Coverdale in 1853 instead of being blank where it said fathers name it said Miles. It took some working out but with some brilliant help from Emeltom, Millmoor, Bumbleb and Rosie99 finding the baptisms I think we cracked it.

Susan