Author Topic: Gardiner name, From Scotland to Kent.  (Read 1476 times)

Offline shaun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Gardiner name, From Scotland to Kent.
« on: Monday 09 April 18 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I live in Kent and am tracing my name Gardiner back. I have managed to find that my Great Great Grandfather James Gardiner (b. 1843 in Glasgow) was from Scotland, and was the first of my family to make the move from Scotland to Kent where we have remained ever since.

I know the Gardiner name ( or variants of it ) are huge in Scotland, but was wondering if anybody knew of some general history or event around that time that might have made people from Scotland move South.

The reason I ask this is because I read somewhere that there was some Agricultural disease at some point in Scotland that caused alot of farmers to either move abroad or further south because their crops were being ruined.

James lived on a farm with his parent in Cambusnethan in the 1851 census, so I know he comes from a farming background. in 1861 he's a lodger, and is listed as a general labourer.

Then in 1871 census he is in Kent and is listed as an Agricultural labourer.

I would really love to try and learn why he made the move to Kent, and any general history knowledge people may have would be great. I know its quite broad, but I know how incredibally knowledgeable people are on this website.

thanks

Shaun

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gardiner name, From Scotland to Kent.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 April 18 16:45 BST (UK) »
I note on one Kent website that Scots are the second largest population in the county after English residents. Many Scots emigrated as you may have heard because of the Highland Clearances but there were also Lowland Clearances, followed by Agricultural Reform in the 18th & 19th centuries.

That would certainly have affected James in his descision to move. I note on GENUKI that in Pigots Directory of 1823 a number of listings for the name Gardiner and an even larger number in 1839, so maybe he had family connections in Kent?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 April 18 23:27 BST (UK) »
Colin
This not really related to the Gardiners but I am researching a family from Dumfriesshire and in 1838 one son went to Australia and sometime between 1841 Census and 1851 his father and mother emigrated to Canada with 2 of his brothers and 2 sisters. 
I know a little about the Highland Clearances but would be interested in reading more about the Lowland Clearances and why they happened.  I wondered if you could suggest where I might get more information - website or book.
Thanks
Jan
Tomlinson, Gash, Faulkner, Dickinson, Dawson - Lincolnshire
Toms, Street, Witt, Harris, Foot(e) - Hampshire

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 18:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for the information
Jan
Tomlinson, Gash, Faulkner, Dickinson, Dawson - Lincolnshire
Toms, Street, Witt, Harris, Foot(e) - Hampshire