Author Topic: 1st King's Royal Rifles in Dublin?  (Read 683 times)

Offline grey2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1st King's Royal Rifles in Dublin?
« on: Monday 09 April 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
My ancestor Sgt Frank Arthur Chester joined the 60th Rifles in 1880 in Winchester and after a campaign in Egypt was stationed in Dublin in 1882. I can't find any reference to Rifles in Dublin. I also don't know which Dublin barracks he would have been stationed at. Can anyone help please?

He was hospitalised twice in 1882, first for pneumonia then Phthesis, after which he was discharged, still a Private but in the 1st King's Rifles, to an address very close to Portobello barracks (as later known).

In 1887 Frank married in Fermoy, Cork, then in April 1888 appears in Dagshai, now Pakistan, as a Sgt. in the Royal Scots Fusiliers. Do military records exist for the RSF? Also if he had been discharged in 1883 on ill health grounds, how did he manage to join the RSF as a Sgt? He stayed with the RSF in India/Pakistan until after 1895.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1st King's Royal Rifles in Dublin?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 April 18 16:17 BST (UK) »
Stations of the Army for Jan 1882 to Oct 1882 (as example) has 1st Battalion Kings Royal Rifle Corps at the Curragh.  List for Nov/Dec simply has Dublin.

MaxD

I see Aug 82 is significant - at the Curragh.

PS - his record shows home (includes Ireland of course) Mar 80 to Aug 82, then Egypt Aug 82 to Feb 83 and home again to Aug 83 (1st Bn in Dublin) then discharge.
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline grey2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1st King's Royal Rifles in Dublin?
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 April 18 17:19 BST (UK) »
Many thanks indeed. I've been reading up on the places he was stationed and also found that Fermoy (where he married) was a large Garrison town. So he was in the RSF (or it's former name 21st Regiment of Foot etc etc as stated on his marriage cert) when he married in 1887. Just need to find his RSF military service record now.