Author Topic: Foulsykes Farm Cambusnethan  (Read 1965 times)

Offline shaun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Foulsykes Farm Cambusnethan
« on: Monday 09 April 18 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Has anybody ever heard of a Foulsykes farm in Cambusnethan. I have family living there in the 1851 Census. Seems like it doesnt exist now and I can find now information about it. Ive only found 1 mention of it in a book where it describes a sewer pipe leaking onto one of its fields.

I’d love to find out more information about it.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Foulsykes Farm Cambusnethan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 April 18 18:54 BST (UK) »

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 April 18 18:59 BST (UK) »
1901 -

Charles Cowan   26 b.   Midlothian   Ploughman   
Margaret Cowan   21 b.Blantyre, Lanarkshire   
Margaret Cowan   Dau   0 b.Cambusnethan

Foulsykes Farm, Cambusnethan, Lanarkshire

JJ

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 April 18 22:23 BST (UK) »
http://maps.nls.uk/view/74400273

Look above the "M" now you can find on later county maps found here https://maps.nls.uk

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 April 18 23:11 BST (UK) »
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=55.7808&lon=-3.8927&layers=5&b=1 - if you slide the blue dot in the panel on the left back and forwards you can see that it is now built over with housing.

It was still there in the 1950s http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14&lat=55.7804&lon=-3.8970&layers=164&b=1

One of the streets there is called Foulsykes Road.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 00:40 BST (UK) »
It is worth doing a search for Foulsykes Farm in the British Newspaper Archive. There are 14 articles in Lanarkshire papers, mostly in the Motherwell Times. One of them refers to the sewage incident you refer to when a Henry Nimmo was in situ. A further article shows that Henry seems to have run into difficulties with money lenders and he appears to have gone from the farm by 1909.

Further to JJens post it was the above Henry Nimmo and family who were in residence at Foulsykes Farm House in the 1901 census. Another newspaper article shows he was at the farm in 1894 but the 1891 census and before that 1881 records him as a butcher in Wishaw.

A 1916 article has the farm belonging  to Robert Paterson while a 1950 article has permission for a new byre being granted to Robert, Thomas and James Paterson.

Having now done a search simply for Foulsykes using the filter of Lanarkshire there are actually even more articles which refer to the farm and those who lived there.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 10:24 BST (UK) »
I knew the name rang a powerfull bell with me! Henry Nimmo appears somewhere in my family tree, so I too would be interested in anything about him and his family.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 13:37 BST (UK) »
Further to my previous post it would appear that the Henry Nimmo referred to was the son of Henry Nimmo and Elizabeth Wothersoon. Henry Nimmo senior can be found at Foulsykes Farm in the 1881 and 1891 census.  He died in 1891 and left a will.

An article you may find of interest is in the Glasgow Herald 30 January 1895 page 9 regarding a case brought to the Court of Session entitled "Proving a Glasgow Doctor's Will",Elizabeth Wotherspoon or Nimmo widow of Henry Nimmo of Foulsykes Farm being one of those involved.

Here is a little more detail from one of the articles referred to in my previous post.

Motherwell Times  27 Jan 1911

"Henry Nimmo, horse dealer, Kinburn Lodge, Douglas Street, Hamilton, was on Tuesday examined in bankruptcy...in the course of the examination related his expereience with moneylenders .

The only money he had borrowed ,he said, was a loan he had concluded with a firm of money-lenders in Glasgow before he left Foulsykes Farm at Martinmas, 1909.The loan was for £100 and he was to pay back £160 at the rate of £10 per month... he thought he still ahd fully £20 to pay.

In October the money lenders got to know that a colliery company out Hamilton way was owing him an account of £27 or £29 for ponies,and they arrested the account and had the money paid over to them...

The examination was closed".

William

PS. In this instance you might also find it of interest to look at Ancestry trees for this family as actual records from SP have been attached to them.

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 14:01 BST (UK) »
In 1807 it appears for let in the Caledonian Mercury and is described as 110 Scots Acres well enclosed and subdivided by Hedges with a good steading of Houses and is situated 15 miles from Glasgow.
(A Scots Acre was equal to 1.3 English Acres or 5080 Square metres today)

In the early to mid 1840's it appears to have been occupied by a family named Ford as they are mentioned in several Ploughing competitions and then in 1858 Andrew Gardiner described as farmer of Foulsykes goes bankrupt.

In the Lanarkshire OS Name Books, 1858-1861 the farm is listed as the property of Henry Houldsworth and occupied by James Hamilton.

In 1873 the Coltness Iron Works operated a mine called Foulsykes No 1 - possibly on or near the farm.(the map link provide by Forfarian shows several old pits in the area)