Author Topic: Naturalization Record  (Read 7245 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Naturalization Record
« Reply #27 on: Monday 16 April 18 22:20 BST (UK) »
I have heard back regarding the 1868 naturalization record  and there is no more information than what is shown.
Oh that's a shame. 

I agree that it's all circumstantial at the moment, although the marriage of Annie in New York & then her turning up in Kearny, New Jersey - where a Charles Henning died - certainly seems to support the NY & NJ families being the same people, especially with her husband being a sea captain.   Do let us know if the death certificate turns up anything - I think we're all willing this to be the right person!
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline stevejgarton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 09:30 BST (UK) »
Ok all of this seems feasible so I guess now I need to find out when Charles arrived in the UK from Norway. All I have on him in the UK is his marriage to Ann in 1859 and the 1861 census. Will have another gander at the 1851 census to see if I can find him.

I am also going to throw another "possibility" into the mix. My Gt grandfather William Robert, son of Charles Henning, fathered 10 children, (I have only confirmed 9 so far, but that is not an issue just now) the first of which William Wilson Charles John Henning was born 13 Aug 1884 at 10 Broad Street, Stratford, London. The second born 31 may 1886 James Thomas Henning also apparently in Stratford, but thus far I have been unable to confirm this. Third born was in April 1888 in Sculcoates, Hull where the family then remained, and William Robert died in Hull in 1924.

So why??? were the first 2 children born in Stratford??? There are Henning households in the area on the 1881 census, including one with a son born in Stratford in 1881 though the son is missed off the transcription he is there on the image, and living in West Ham at the time. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27C-B2MZ

YORKSHIRE: Duffin, Henning, Hampshire, Allerston, McLaren, Levett
NORTHANTS: Garton, Eady

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/stevegartongenealogy

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 10:01 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find him leaving Norway or as a seaman in the seamen records but to no avail at the moment unfortunately.

Ian

Offline stevejgarton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 10:15 BST (UK) »
Ian see my recent post which throws the "Norway" connection up in the air in favour of a London connection. The only evidence re Norway is the 1861 census, could this be an error, and if so the London connection needs more investigating. 

Still no sign of Charles in the Uk either before or after 1861 census other than the marriage though.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 10:21 BST (UK) »

Still no sign of Charles in the Uk either before or after 1861 census other than the marriage though.

Charles was a ship's carpenter so I guess he was onboard at the time of the census and not docked somewhere. I believe he was still in Norway in 1851.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 10:40 BST (UK) »

Ian see my recent post which throws the "Norway" connection up in the air in favour of a London connection. The only evidence re Norway is the 1861 census, could this be an error, and if so the London connection needs more investigating. 

I don't know how to reply to this. I can't see Norway being an error. The family I have found in Norway fits pretty well but as you say we need more evidence. I will keep digging to come up with something.

Ian

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 15:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

The Norway connection is very strong -- there are several evidential factors from both the records you HAVE found in England and the records found by jamcat in Norway.

Name --- Carl/Charles
Birthplace -- Norway
Father's name -- Carl/Charles
Father's occupation -- Horse Doctor/Vet
Birth year -- mid 1830s

There are too many corresponding facts for it to be a coincidence.

I don't really understand why you favour a London connection.
William Robert Henning was born in Hull.
He married in Darlington.
He is on most census records in Hull/Sculcoates (He MAY be with his grandparents in 1871 shown as William H Levitt, aged 10 -- unless that's a different grandchild).

It is clear he must have gone to London for a short period after his marriage to have 2 children there, but he then moves back to Hull.

Usually people moved for work - and William Robert was a Billiard Marker (?) then worked with wood afterwards. I don't think his move to London for a few years affects the strong Norway connection of his father. It will be difficult to know now just why he and his wife moved down there for a short time, before coming back.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline stevejgarton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

The Norway connection is very strong -- there are several evidential factors from both the records you HAVE found in England and the records found by jamcat in Norway.

Name --- Carl/Charles
Birthplace -- Norway
Father's name -- Carl/Charles
Father's occupation -- Horse Doctor/Vet
Birth year -- mid 1830s

There are too many corresponding facts for it to be a coincidence.

I don't really understand why you favour a London connection.
William Robert Henning was born in Hull.
He married in Darlington.
He is on most census records in Hull/Sculcoates (He MAY be with his grandparents in 1871 shown as William H Levitt, aged 10 -- unless that's a different grandchild).

It is clear he must have gone to London for a short period after his marriage to have 2 children there, but he then moves back to Hull.

Usually people moved for work - and William Robert was a Billiard Marker (?) then worked with wood afterwards. I don't think his move to London for a few years affects the strong Norway connection of his father. It will be difficult to know now just why he and his wife moved down there for a short time, before coming back.

Hi

Perhaps I should have said it is another possibility, I should not have said in favour of.

There is a lot of evidence that points to him being born in Norway, moving to the UK for a few years and then onto the US. However without some corroborative evidence I am open to other avenues of research.

I share your assumption that is it William Robert shown on the 1871 living with grandparents. If I could find his mother Ann on the 1871 it would help, but she is well hidden away somewhere.

I think the London connection is worth exploring, William Robert seems to have been a jack of all trades, as he was at different times, a billiard marker, a box maker, a licensed victualler, a hairdressers assistant, a hairdresser, painters labourer, painter & decorator and ships painter. He was a beer seller when he married Harriet Hampshire in 1881. He gave up his license in July 1882. When his first son was born in Stratford in 1884 he was a hairdresser. So being multi talented lol I cannot see why he would have moved to London for 2 years or so for employment. I have a hunch there is a family connection.

One other fact to add to the mix, whether or not it is relevant I am not sure. His mother Ann died in 1880 at 3 Handleys Place, informant Hannah Levi (was Levitt) her sister of the same address. On the 1881 census William Robert is lodging with his Aunt Hannah at the same address. When Ann passed away she left just shy of £500 which under letters of admin passed to William Robert her only child when he came of age. He got his hands on the cash in July 1881, then gave up the beer licence and buggered off to Darlington to marry. There is a proven family connection in Darlington to his Aunt Hannah's Levi family, witnesses to the marriage licence were family. I dont know how far £500 would have gone in those days and whether it has any bearing but I do feel the move to London was family related and not just on a whim.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 17 April 18 16:38 BST (UK) »
£500 in the 1880s is about £58,000 today! Quite a considerable amount.

I noticed the Levi name where William was lodging actually -- it immediately struck me as Jewish - I hadn't taken into account that it was connected to Levett/Levitt.

Even so - that name was from William Robert's mother's line and nothing to do with Charles from Norway. So any family connection to that line was on the maternal side. His inheritance may have prompted the move to London - but it clearly didn't work out down there for him - possibly too much competition in the work area.

I still don't think it affects Charles Henning -- and it's a separate interesting facet to your family history (which can't be called a boring one by any means -- lots of interest in it, compared with most of us!)

Incidentally -- I don't think it is your William in 1871 -- there was a William Henry Levett born 1860 in Sculcoates Reg District - mother's maiden name Woodhead. So a different grandson. Hence we haven't found Ann or your William in 1871.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.