Author Topic: Garside Family Sheffield  (Read 2614 times)

Offline gela

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Garside Family Sheffield
« on: Monday 09 April 18 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hello i am trying to trace my ggg grandmother Sarah Garside , she married a George Oxley in Sheffield in 1855 she was a spinster and her father was a John Garside. In the 1861 census she is living in Ecclesfield showing born 1834 Ecclesfield, in 1871 living in Ecclesfield born 1833 born Sheffield, 1881 living in Ecclesfield born 1829 Sheffield, 1891 living in Ecclesfield born 1828 Sheffield.I found Sarah Garside born Attercliffe 1830 father a John Garside mother a Mary Booth , her parents married in Rotherham in 1813 i think her father was born in1787 Sheffield to a William Garside and an Elizabeth and i think her father died in 1830 Sheffield. I have her siblings as Anne Garside born 1814 Sheffield died 1850 Durham married a james Crouch in Sheffield and moved to Durham by 1841.Henry Garside born 1816 Sheffield married Ann Mettam 1839 Rotherham and moved to Durham by 1841.John Garside born 1821 Sheffield married an Elenor and was living in Durham in 1851 his eldest daughter was born in 1839 North Sheilds.I have Sarah in 1841 in Durham living with Anne and Henry and their families.I can't find Sarah in the 1851 census , I can't find John in the 1841 census and i can't find their mother at all and i can't find James Crouch in the 1851 census .I have looked on Ancestrey , Find my Past and free bmd. Just wonder if i have the right Sarah Garside that married George Oxley any help or ideas would be much appreciated . Thanks

Offline Pat Allen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Garside Family Sheffield
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 15:13 BST (UK) »
I am looking but firstly, she married John Oxley in 1855.  His father was George. She gives her age at marriage as 25 which makes her year of birth 1830.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 15:31 BST (UK) »
I am surprised this topic has taken a while to be answered, I suspect it is because it is difficult to read  :-\

Hello i am trying to trace my ggg grandmother Sarah Garside , she married a George Oxley in Sheffield in 1855 she was a spinster and her father was a John Garside.   (See reply from Pat)

In the 1861 census she is living in Ecclesfield showing born 1834 Ecclesfield, in 1871 living in Ecclesfield born 1833 born Sheffield, 1881 living in Ecclesfield born 1829 Sheffield, 1891 living in Ecclesfield born 1828 Sheffield.

I found Sarah Garside born Attercliffe 1830 father a John Garside mother a Mary Booth , her parents married in Rotherham in 1813

i think her father was born in1787 Sheffield to a William Garside and an Elizabeth and i think her father died in 1830 Sheffield.

I have her siblings as
Anne Garside born 1814 Sheffield died 1850 Durham married a james Crouch in Sheffield and moved to Durham by 1841
Henry Garside born 1816 Sheffield married Ann Mettam 1839 Rotherham and moved to Durham by 1841.
John Garside born 1821 Sheffield married an Elenor and was living in Durham in 1851 his eldest daughter was born in 1839 North Sheilds.

I have Sarah in 1841 in Durham living with Anne and Henry and their families. I can't find Sarah in the 1851 census ,

I can't find John in the 1841 census and i can't find their mother at all and i can't find James Crouch in the 1851 census .

I have looked on Ancestrey , Find my Past and free bmd. Just wonder if i have the right Sarah Garside that married George Oxley any help or ideas would be much appreciated . Thanks

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 15:53 BST (UK) »
When Sarah married John Oxley she said her father was John Garside occupation Pudler
The occupation of John, the father of Sarah who was baptised at Attercliffe in 1830 parents John & Mary was a Scissor Smith.  :-\

Do you have Sarah Oxley with any of the Garside family on census after she marries

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pat Allen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 16:56 BST (UK) »
I really want to try to help with this but it is all a bit uncertain.  Gela, where is your fixed point of which you are sure? What about your grandparent who links into this line, have you got certainty from them to Sarah Garside Oxley? I agree with Rosie, the John Garside from Attercliffe in he 1830s who is a scissorsmith is unlikely to be the same John Garside, Puddler in 1855.  He could be but it wouldn't be a normal progression.

Offline Pat Allen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 17:29 BST (UK) »
The Sarah and John Oxley in the 1871 and 1881 census seem correct.  John's birthplace is given as Bolton.  In the 1861 census John's birthplace is given as Ecclesfield. The children who appear in the 1861 census are John and Walter whereas the ones in the 1871 and 1881 are Henry and Arthur.  The name on the 1861 is transcribed as Oxley but could easily be Oakley.  The 1861 needs more work. In 1891 we have a widow named Sarah Oxley born in Sheffield with the correct date of birth.   This is the Ancestry link https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=byH245&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&gss=angs-g&new=1&rank=1&gsfn=sarah&gsfn_x=0&gsln=garside%20oxley&gsln_x=0&msypn__ftp=sheffield&msbdy=1830&msydy=1891&gskw=ecclesfield&cpxt=1&cp=11&catbucket=rstp&MSAV=1&uidh=2wm&pcat=ROOT_CATEGORY&h=5183213&dbid=6598&indiv=1&ml_rpos=8

Offline gela

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 21:54 BST (UK) »
Sorry i didn't set it out easier the other day not the most organised got certificates and papers every where and i was tired after searching for her.

Henry Oxley her son is my gg grandfather and he married a Margeret Hartley

For Henry Garside born 1816 he was baptised at Hill Top Chapel of Ease Attercliffe his fathers occupation is showing as Striker
For Anne Garside born 1814 she was baptised again at Hill Top Chapel of Ease Attercliffe and her fathers occupation is showing as Labourer.

on John Oxley and Sarah Garside marriage certificate the witnesses are showing as John Hattersley and Ann Roe but i think Ann Roe is John Oxley's niece.

I found in the Sheffield Independent 17th june 1854 a news article saying a criminal assault was commited upon a girl Sarah Garside of Ecclesfield by a Joseph Calvert and a John Sellars, file cutters of Sheffield Lane .It mentions about Sellars being an old sweet heart and that she had a sister. Again not sure if it's my sarah Garside.

Offline gela

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 22:00 BST (UK) »
Forgot to mention in the 1891 census she is under the surname Axley in Ecclesfiled

Offline gela

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 22:48 BST (UK) »
I really do appreciate and i am grateful for your help and input

there is a Sarah Garside in the 1841 census living at the Poggs Ecclesfield Bradfield showing aged 15 born 1826 yorks living with a Josh and Mary Shaw

There is also a John Garside in the 1841 census living at Hermit Hill Tankesley Wortley aged 40 a carpenter along with Mary aged 35, Hannah 13,Bessy 10 , Mary 8 , Emma 5

1851 census Hermit Hill
John Garside Widower 54 Farmer of 14 Acres & master wheel wright born Wortley

Hannah daughter 23 farmers daughter at home born Dodworth

Emma daughter 14 at home born Wortley

Ruth daughter 10 scholar born Wortley

Fredrick relative 2months wortley ( fredrick swift garside )