Author Topic: 1946 BAOR Soldiers  (Read 1401 times)

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1946 BAOR Soldiers
« on: Tuesday 10 April 18 12:24 BST (UK) »
This post mirrors one I've put on the photo restoration/dating site.  I've received help there to suggest that this photo of four soldiers was taken in the Buer district of Gelsenkirchen on 9th May 1946.

The soldier on the right was in the Lincolnshire Regiment.  Others in the group are wearing a very distinctive regimental badge.  Is this to do with the Lincs Regiment or is it BAOR insignia?  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1946 BAOR Soldiers
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 12:32 BST (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 15:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link Shaun.  So (from L to R), numbers 1 and 3 are 49th West Riding, while 2 and 4 are not.  2 and 4 look as if they might be from the same unit/regiment, and 4 is known to be Lincolnshire Regiment; it's a pity the two badges on his left arm aren't that shade more visible.

Thanks again.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 17:05 BST (UK) »
4th Battalion Lincolns was one of the battalions of 146 Infantry Brigade, one of the brigades of 49 Division so it is highly likely that they are all from units of that brigade even though they do not all have the polar bear badge - there is a newness about the uniform blouses which suggest replacements just issued?(speculation)

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline BoslemBoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 19:36 BST (UK) »
Max

It's great to get this extra detail - I'd have asked my Dad about it, but he died 45 years ago tomorrow.  He'd been moved to continental Europe in March 1945 after being transferred from RA (Coastal).  So his 'old' gear would have had 14 months of use by the time of this photo, I suspect.

BB