Author Topic: Confused - overseas birth Ionian Islands  (Read 561 times)

Offline caroline_forster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Confused - overseas birth Ionian Islands
« on: Tuesday 10 April 18 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am searching for an ancestor and came up with two possible records (based on name only) in the "British Armed Forces And Overseas Births And Baptisms" Index (on findmypast).

There are no dates listed for the entries. Regiment is Ion Is. I notice that the other "Ion Is" entries on the page also have no date listed.

I can't find these births in the "British Army and Navy Birth, Marriage and Death Records, 1730-1960" on Ancestry.

Can anybody advise me how I could proceed from here?

I am doubtful that this is the person I'm looking for but would like to be able to rule this out. Any info about the Ion Islands that would help date this entry?

My ancestor was James Baston. Born approx 1750-1780 (probably around 1765-1770). Birth place Gibraltar or other "overseas" location.

Many thanks

Caroline

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Confused - overseas birth Ionian Islands
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 15:03 BST (UK) »
I see what you mean.  Unless someone can come up with the exact dates, I would suggest telephoning the GRO who I have always found very helpful, quoting the volume, line number, page etc of the first four (for safety) that come up on the FindMyPast search and asking for the dates.
01708 433481 would be the place to start.

That said, I am not too sure why you have Gibraltar or "other overseas location" as his place of birth.  The Ionian Islands, where there was a British garrison, are at the other end of the Mediterranean as far from Gibraltar as it is posible to go in the Med??

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline caroline_forster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Confused - overseas birth Ionian Islands
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Max,

thanks for the suggestion, I will try calling the GRO.

The place of birth is a mystery (as is pretty much everything else about this guy). We have one record of him being "a native of Stepney, born in Gibraltar", but other unsubstantiated rumours of Malta or "another mediterranean island" being a possible place of birth. So while Corfu is a long way from Gibraltar I'm wanting to rule it out if possible.

Caroline