Author Topic: Welsh Wills Problem  (Read 1905 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Welsh Wills Problem
« on: Tuesday 10 April 18 14:55 BST (UK) »
I was searching for a will 1852 ,  it turned out to be in the St Davids. The will was for the wrong man even though the details shown were correct. I contacted NLW about this, and these are their replies.  It might help others who come across the same problem. I did find the one I wanted using their first suggestion, and they seem to say the same thing in the second.

First .
Dear Ms Edwards,
Thank you for your message  concerning the will of Thomas Richards  of Aberystwyth, ref. SD1852-95. Unfortunately there is an error which affects most of the probate records from the diocese of St David's for the year 1852, resulting in inconsistencies between the catalogue and the images. You may be able to find the images for the will of Thomas Richards via the search box in the Library's front page. Type in just the reference number of the next will, ref. SD1852-96. The deceased's name will appear as Thomas Davies but if you examine the images, they will show the will of Thomas Richards.   Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

Second.
 have received a reply from you, showing the details of the will of Thomas Richards. I hope you have managed to find the images by following the instructions which I sent to you yesterday:
Go to the search box in the Library's main front page:
https://www.library.wales/?no_cache=1

Type in just the reference number of the next will, ref. SD1852-96. The deceased's name will appear as Thomas Davies but if you examine the images, they will show the will of Thomas Richards.
It is regrettable that this error has occurred with the  St David's wills of 1852 and it is hoped that the problem will be addressed at some time in the future.

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)