Author Topic: Information on the family of John Cain and Margaret Cannell  (Read 2938 times)

Offline Jac2308

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Information on the family of John Cain and Margaret Cannell
« on: Tuesday 10 April 18 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have been away from my Isle of Man research and am at loss as to what I am looking at.  I am going to visit the island this weekend and am trying to sort out what I have.

I am trying to find out the names of the children for John Cain and Margaret Cannell.  My direct ancestor is William Cain b1785 d28 July 1823 Port Erin.  William Married Jane Gawne Shuttleworth, it is said that her sibling, Elizabeth Ann Shuttleworth, married Williams brother - John Cain - but I cannot find a birth for a John Cain.  I am also not sure that I have the correct details as from family information we should have an Edward Cain marrying an Eleanor Mylchreest (possibly spelt differently) as the parents of William.  - So I am wondering if Edward Cain and Eleanor are the parents of John Cain Snr who married Margaret Cannell, or even a generation before that - I'm lost and need some sensible direction.  Can anyone help please.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Information on the family of John Cain and Margaret Cannell
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 18:47 BST (UK) »
On the Family Search site there is a baptism of a John Cain on 10 July 1788 at Rushen -- parents John Cain and Margaret Cannell. Might this be the one?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X83F-7LN
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Jac2308

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 19:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much - I think you may have just made my day!  So I think I might be on the right track then with this family - or at least John Cain, his wife Margaret, and 2 sons.  Now to find out what level the Edward Cain and Eleanor come in.  Thank you ever so much

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 19:45 BST (UK) »
Jac -- you are so welcome.

Family Search had the actual filmed record for John Cain's baptism -- very difficult to read though, but thankfully someone has done the hard work of transcribing it (but you can understand why you get transcription errors can't you).

I did have a quick look to see if I could find other children born to John and Margaret (Cannell) -- but couldn't immediately see any. That doesn't mean they aren't lurking there somewhere though and it would be worth you exploring Family Search with perhaps the parents names -- year range and location Isle of Man.

Good Luck with it - and enjoy your trip to the island. I hope it is a successful visit for you.
Places of interest;

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 23:09 BST (UK) »
John Cain m Margt Cannell Rus 17840424 noted as both of parish

d 1803 will dated 17 Sep 1798;ch John(younger son 200guineas),Wm exor; wife alive; sumner charges widow Margt Cain + wittnes Revd John Clague + Wm Comish to appear

his burial notes "in this parish about 20 years from Douglas, died an unnatural death on Saturday last, on monday following was found drowned beyond Fleshwick, a jury brought in a verdict of insanity

Margt went on to marry John Roney Michael 18031224 when Margt  widow;both rushen;by special lic -
she left a will

It would appear that John Cain bought a parcel of land in 1796 - dated 2 Feb 1796;John Carin(Rushen) + wife Isabel sell for £172(British) to John Cain(Rushen)  a part of Breagul beg in Rushen pt of qtrland called Cummin's Qtrland (noted a mortgage to be redeemed) - preserving lease of present tenant Wm Watterson adj Drogad Fails + Rowany Gawn's land on north, Maddrell + widow Cummin on west and Thomas Harrison on south; Witt William Clucas, Thos Cottier -

this land is near Port Erin (or Port Iron as then often known)

Wm Cain is buried in same grave as his daughter - Rushen old yard ZH12 - Sacred / to the Memory of / JANE GAWNE BAYLEY wife alias CAIN /the beloved wife of /BARTON

NICHOLAS BAYLEY /who departed this life / on the 9th of June 1849 /  at Balagarey House / in the Parish of Marown / in the 38th year of her age / her favourite

text was God is Love / The  mortal remains of the above here rest in the same grave / with those of her dear father  WILLIAM CAIN of Port Erin.

this grave has on one side those of the Gawnes of Kentraugh + of Wm Qualtrough prev owner of Kentraugh and on the other in ZH13 (much worn) To the Memory / of JOHN CAIN of. Port Ir. . / ../this life on the 21st d .../ .../aged 16../also MARGARET RONEY who departed this life / ... of March 1844 aged 79

this is possibly misread -  Margt Roney als Cain als Cannell was mother of Wm + John Cain (he was an advocate in Castletown buried aged 43 on 1 Nov 1843) - I think this  John was her 1st husband and the age misread

John Cain sold his share in parents property in Douglas in 1785:

SSS Oct 1787 66 [Douglas - Ballakermeen]dated 1 Apr 1785;John Cain + wife Margret als Cannell sell for £8 8s(Brit) to father Daniel cain our title to half of father's dwelling house + garden on sandside (part of Ballakermeen) adj Thomas Cannell on south, John Stowell on west, Edward Callow on north + street on east - rent 0.25d; Witt John Corkill, John Kissack

John would have gained a half share in house from his mother - his likely parents were Danl Cain + Margt Stole who had the one child John

Margts will d 25 jul 1760;sis alice,mary;son john(house when he reaches 16) - uncle + aunt patk kermod  [m Mary stole Bra 17590506] + alice stole supv;husb dan exor;

Daniel remarried Isabel Bridson - noted in reg dc widowr;btp
John was bapt 1757 wch means age 46 at death wich 4 was misread as 1 by transcribers of a worn stone

I presume you can now trace back Daniel ...
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Jac2308

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 April 18 01:16 BST (UK) »
Wow, just Wow!  Thank you ever so much for ALL of this information.  I do not quite know where to begin.  Thank you ever so much for finding out all of this information for me, it is truly appreciated.  Thank you ever so much.

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 April 18 08:59 BST (UK) »
Frances -- I know this isn't my query - but I am truly amazed at all the information you have provided. How did you find all that!! I am so impressed and really, really pleased for Jac2308;
Places of interest;

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 April 18 09:30 BST (UK) »
I suspect the answer is along the apocryphal reply to the American who asked about Oxbridge college lawns -
 just cut + roll and after a couple of centuries you get a reasonable lawn
modify to prob 20 years looking at Manx social history(see my website www.manxnotebook.com) esp land records so obviously fam history is faster to do than gardening
any thing with a Manx Connection