Author Topic: Relative with Common Name, Multiple Matches.  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Ausigeni

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Relative with Common Name, Multiple Matches.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 April 18 07:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everyone for giving me such excellent advice. I had not considered the GRO numbers on the records before. I think I may have now found my grandmother's birth certificate, (finally), using the Free Marriage and Birth Index. I am yet to find any more matches on Ancestry but I will persist!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 April 18 08:01 BST (UK) »
If you are trying to go backwards from your grandparents you really need to purchase their marriage certificate. 

Please don't rely on trees on Ancestry they are sometimes wrong and then copied on by others which then leads people to believe they are accurate as so many people have the same information. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 April 18 09:15 BST (UK) »
Agree totally with Rosie

I mentioned the gro numbers, as you will need that to apply for the copy of the marriage cert.

The numbers referencing a marriage cert will, in no way, lead you to the birth cert for that person!

Research cannot be done by relying on computer "matches" - they can only match the obvious and real life isn't like that. People remarry, use a different name, move area unexpectedly etc.

For an example - ( Ican't remember the exact dates etc without looking it up, so don't go checking it out, but this is the principle)
I had a Martha Parker, with a brother James. Martha was born in, say 1862 in Worthing Sussex.  Her brother James married a Martha Price. Martha Price was also born in within a year of 1862 in Worthing.  So - of course - all computer programme "matched" the death of Martha Parker with a birth date of 1862 with the birth of Martha Parker in 1862.  If I hadn't looked further, it would have been so easy to have accepted this. Of course the actual situation was that this death was for Martha nee Price, and the Martha Parker who had been born in 1862 died as Martha something else as she too had married.

Just a silly example, but shows how you cant accept a "match" on face value, but only take it as a possibility to be followed up and confirmed with research. Same with online trees, as has been said a large proportion are absolute rubbish, but just sometimes something is worth a closer look. But that doesn't mean just accepting it, but looking closer at it and engaging in some research to see if there are documents or evidence to back it up.

So, if you think you have found the marriage in the gro index, and cant find a parish record for it, then you need to get the cert to find out more about it before moving on to the next step. A computer may have "matched" all sorts of births to that marriage - but none of them may be correct!  And you certainly cant just pick one randomly with no further evidence to have lead you to it.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ausigeni

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 April 18 09:53 BST (UK) »
I will order the certificate definitely, I ordered one for one of my parents last year not realizing that I would one day need to order one for genealogical purposes.

I've already come up against people getting it wrong on Ancestry before when I input my husband's family tree, people had followed links and made assumptions which then did not gel with the facts we had inherited from family bibles which was later turned into a tree by a relative.

Thanks again.

Edit: Unfortunately because my Grandparents were both older I think they must have married in a town hall in the North of England and so there was no church record aspect that I could have looked into.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 April 18 11:34 BST (UK) »
And remember - Rootschat people are always willing to help if we can!

Sorry, if I came over a bit sharp in my last post, but I just didn't want you, or anyone else, going off on a wrong tangent, following the wrong person and ending up with an incorrect tree, because of the modern-day pressure of computer generated matches!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk