Author Topic: John GARSIDE, alias Smith. Native of Cheshire.  (Read 2357 times)

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
John GARSIDE, alias Smith. Native of Cheshire.
« on: Wednesday 11 April 18 03:13 BST (UK) »
Hi team

My convict, John GARSIDE alias Smith was sentenced at Knutsford on 17 October 1836 to 7 years transportation for 'Stealing Soap'.  Looks like a couple of others were found guilty of the same offence at the same time.  He was transported to New South Wales on 14 July 1837 on the 'Asia II'.

The prison hulk register states he was married but also suggests their were no children to the marriage as others on the register do.  I do not know who his wife was, but that is one of my requests.

The register also states, 'Once in gaol for Bastardy'.  I dont know the name of the child or mother.  That is another of my requests.

I also dont know where the 'alias Smith' comes into it?!

John GARSIDE spent the rest of his life in New South Wales.  He married again in 1844.

Thanks in advance.

bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: John GARSIDE, alias Smith. Native of Cheshire.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 11:32 BST (UK) »
Any idea of approximate date of birth  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 16:24 BST (UK) »
Probably Liverpool, New South Wales in 1882.  Age is out but there aren't any other's.

bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 16:38 BST (UK) »
OK, I have found criminal register which gives age as 26 when sentenced so born c1810  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 April 18 01:12 BST (UK) »
There are some references to him online such as on "convict records"
https://convictrecords.com.au/convicts/garside/john/50907

However, they do not appear to have any evidence of his first marriage or place of birth either. 

Likely marriages in Cheshire could be (only looking at GARSIDE, not the SMITH alias)
1836   Mary SHIELDS
1834   Hannah GARSIDE
1831   Mary Ann FOSTER
1828  Hannah HOLDGATE
1826   Alice HOWARD
1825   Mary CHEETHAM
1824   Ann HADFIELD

Looking at the 1841 I can see a Hannah, Alice, Ann and Mary all with husband John GARSIDE, but difficult to know which is which without quite a bit more research.   :-\

Offline Carol Sim

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 April 19 01:36 BST (UK) »
Hi
John Garside was my great great grandfather. Here is what I have found on him:
John Garside was born in 1810 & tried in Chester Quarter Session 17th October 1836. His native place was stated to be Cheshire. His crime was "stealing soap" and he was sentenced to 7 years transportation to Australia.  He may have married shortly after his conviction, as there is an entry in the Cheshire Marriage records for 18th November 1836, detailing a marriage between John Garside and Ann Stavely Barrett.

He made the voyage in the ship Asia 11 (1837), arriving in Port Jackson Sydney 2nd December 1837. He was assigned to the A.A. Company in 1837 as a miner. He was granted a ticket of leave for Newcastle 5th February 1842, and applied for permission to marry Elizabeth Bradgate 18th May 1842.

Elizabeth's husband William, who had come free on the "Richard Webb", recruited by the A.A. Company in 1837 as a miner, had died a year earlier. She was pregnant when John lodged the request to marry, but it was disallowed. Elizabeth gave birth to twin girls, Adaliza & Mary Anne 3rd August 1842. Their birth was registered with the surname of Bradgate, but they are described in the register as base born. I have little doubt that John was their father.

John was granted a Ticket of Leave Passport 21st March 1843, allowing him to travel between Newcastle & Maitland, in the service of the Hunter District Steam Navigation Company. Baby Mary Anne Bradgate died 6th May 1843.

John received his Certificate of Freedom 18th December 1843. It tells us his native place was Cheshire, he was born in 1810, was 5 feet 5 1/2 inches tall, had brown hair, eyes, & complexion, & numerous moles, scars, & tattoos. He & Elizabeth married in Christ Church Cathedral Newcastle 10th January 1844. Elizabeth gave birth to their son, James Garside 24th July 1844, & daughter Ethelinda Garside (my great grandmother) 6th July 1846.

Little is known of John & Elizabeth's life together. Elizabeth died 24th September 1864, while living in Darby Street Newcastle, from Apoplexy & continued fever. Her death certificate states her parents were Anthony Dunsford (painter) & Jane Dunsford, nee Wyatt. She was buried in the Christchurch Burial Ground, Newcastle, according to the rites of the Church of England. 

John died 8th September 1882 in Liverpool NSW Asylum suffering from from Senile Decay. He was buried in the Liverpool Church of England cemetery. His death certificate shows no information regarding his parents or birth.