Author Topic: Afghanistan 1878 - 1880 medal help  (Read 664 times)

Offline bigjo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Afghanistan 1878 - 1880 medal help
« on: Wednesday 11 April 18 13:03 BST (UK) »
i ,guys new to this  but need help on this medal  i just know nothing a bout it or the chap
it has in the rim 6BDE ,,i think  and a number 589 under it  PTE  A WORRALL  1/25TH  FOOT
all help on this would be gratefull  . it just that i.am not the best of ware to look up this sort of info this old
a very big thanks  to all that could help

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Afghanistan 1878 - 1880 medal help
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 13:58 BST (UK) »
Number 589 Private A Worrall of the 1st Battalion 25th Regiment of Foot (later the Kings Own Scottish Borderers)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King%27s_Own_Scottish_Borderers#Victorian_era .

Awarded  for service in the Second Afghan War https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghanistan_Medal_(United_Kingdom) http://www.garenewing.co.uk/angloafghanwar/index.php

6 Bde means 6 Brigade which may have been the formation to which the 25th Foot belonged, haven't confirmed that.  Looking for any service record for him.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 14:12 BST (UK) »
The medal list for the 25th Foot confirms his name and entitlement.  No other records leap off the page.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline bigjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 14:52 BST (UK) »
BIG THANK YOU ON THIS INFO
how can we get to know about this chap is all lost

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 15:30 BST (UK) »
There are certainly no records other than the medal list on line.  He doesn't even appear in the 25th Foot pension records as far as I can see but if he didn't serve a full term of 21 years and wasn't wounded, he wouldn't get a pension anyway.  It was the practice to dispose of soldiers' records after discharge.

He is likely to be listed in the Muster Roll for the 25th Foot, the edition for 1877-1879 is here: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4427266  and in editions for years before and after depending on when he served.  The rolls don't have information that enable one to identify a man though, they are simply quarterly registers of him drawing his pay and where he was.  These are not digitised and have to be scoured for sight of the subject.

In sum, unless a descendant catches sight of this thread, that's about it. If you feel inclined to wager £20, then the KOSB Museum https://www.kosb.co.uk/family-enquiries/ may find him on lists but note what it says about no service records.  They would probably like the medal if you wanted to donate it.

Another thought - look at the surname studies (on the brown bit at the bottom of the page) and ses if there are any Worrals there who might know they had a relative in the Afghan War.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline bigjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 16:32 BST (UK) »
a big thank you max for all the time you made to look in to this , its hard to do ,  and i  guess we we will  not know just what this chap did , in the 25th ,reg , but at least he made it, back home  thank you for the help  andy