Author Topic: Joseph HANDLEY baptism Masham area?  (Read 786 times)

Online fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph HANDLEY baptism Masham area?
« on: Wednesday 11 April 18 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hello,
 Searching for the baptism of Joseph HANDLEY who married Mary RIDER at Masham :

From printed transcript Masham registers 

Joseph HANDLEY husbandman, bachelor 20 married Mary RIDER spinster 20 by banns 26th Feb 1781. Witnesses John RIDER (Her father or brother?) Caleb POWELL (witnesses a few marriages so may be parish clerk)

First Child George bapt Masham (living at Ilton) 1782
     next      Jane     "          "       (of Swinton)  1784 (Married Jeffery BUTTERFIELD & is my direct ancestor)
               Joseph   "          "    (of Fearby) 1786

Then they move to Middleham N. YKS and have

Mary 1789
John 1791
Ann 1793
Sally 1796
William 1798
Elizabeth 1800
Robert 1802
Peter 1804

Buried in Middleham churchyard : Joseph died 17 March 1839 @ 78 yrs and Mary 10th Sept 1841 @ 80 yrs.

Mary HANDLEY was bapt at Masham, dau of John RIDER of Fearby 12 Sept 1761. Possibly the John RIDER of Low Mains who married Mary METCALF of Healey  at Masham in 1744. I think John was the son of Robert  RIDER &  chr  Masham  23 March 1720/1.

So if they followed typical naming patterns Joseph possibly ought to be the son of a George HANDLEY.

I cannot find a baptism for Joseph at Masham and have checked just for the first name too, in case he was illegitimate, so think he must have come from somewhere else.

Can anyone find him?
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph HANDLEY baptism Masham area?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 16:34 BST (UK) »
There are a couple of Joseph Handleys baptised in Yorkshire around the right time on Family Search -- one on 1760 in Rothwell -- father named Joseph and one in 1761 in Aston, York with a father Benjamin.

His first son MAY have been named after his wife's father (if he had just died or something!) or after HIS own grandfather. Have you checked the wife's baptism?
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Online fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 17:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks.
 I am not convinced about any of the ones on the IGI. The name Benjamin certainly never appears in the family. Rothwell is south of Leeds - not impossible but rather a long way away. I know the IGI coverage is not complete for the area. I did check the bride's baptism  -John was her father and Mary her mother.

Regards,
Bulman, DUR
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 17:27 BST (UK) »
There is also the possibility that Joseph was baptised as a non-conformist  :-\ 

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 18:16 BST (UK) »
I have checked non-conformist baptisms actually - nothing there for this name and time. He could have been a Baptist maybe where the christening doesn't take place until they are old enough to renounce their sins and display their understanding of that particular faith.

Also he could have been illegitimate. Can't see anything obvious on line, but that doesn't mean it's not there of course.

If the filmed records of Masham Parish Registers are on lne it would be useful to check through them around the time of Joseph's birth to see if there are any similar names, mistranscription - or indeed Handley families in that parish then.

Otherwise the normal advice in such cases is to look at townships around the parish in question going round it in concentric circles. (Hours of fun!)

Places of interest;

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
Possibly you already know this - but there are about 14 public family trees with Joseph Handley marrying in Masham in 1780.

Only 2 of these show a father - one is showing Joseph as a father and the other showing a William. Neither show a mother and none of the others show ANY parents at all. Hence all these researchers have hit the same problem. Very frustrating I know.
Places of interest;

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 21:19 BST (UK) »
So if they followed typical naming patterns Joseph possibly ought to be the son of a George HANDLEY.

Have you considered this will:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lvx/

I know its a little out of area, but in the absence of anything else....
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Online fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 22:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you. It may have to wait till I can go to N. Yks records office to research the surrounding area. The Will looks interesting too. I did see a George of Sedbergh on familysearch - may be the same one.
Bulman, DUR
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS