Author Topic: Wives of Jacob Derrick  (Read 1620 times)

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Wives of Jacob Derrick
« on: Wednesday 11 April 18 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, seem to have got in a muddle with this.

According to the online marriage certificate Sarah (Ann) Derrick named her father as Jacob Derrick when getting married to Sidmund Hillman on 15 July 1850 in Clapton in Gordano.  Sidmund Hillman is an enigma in himself but I have now unravelled that and don't need any info on him or on them going forward.

I am tracing Sarah Ann Derrick and thus her father Jacob back and am having trouble trying to sort Jacob and his wives out.  There is a baptism for a Sarah Derrick on 30 August 1829 in Kingston Seymour to Jacob & Bridget Derrick which I think is the correct one and I can find a marriage of Jacob Derrick to Bridget Carpenter on 4 Feb 1823 in Blagdon, Somerset.

However, tracing Jacob through the census I cannot find him with a wife Bridget, only one called Sarah (refs below).  I realise that she could have died before the 1841 census (last child I can find born to the couple is James in 1834) but I can't find a death for her but neither can I find a remarriage for him to a Sarah.

1841: (HO107; Piece: 956; Book: 7; ED: 8; Folio: 26; Page: 3)
1851: (HO107; Piece: 1946; Folio: 514; Page: 1)
1861:(RG 9; Piece: 1711; Folio: 84; Page: 2)
1871:(RG11; Piece: 2463; Folio: 95; Page: 10;
1881:(RG10; Piece: 2517; Folio: 95; Page: 7)

The 1871 census seems to indicate that he may have married a Sarah Offer who came with a daughter Louisa as her relationship to him is stepchild.

Also there are baptisms in Kingston Seymour in 1842 & 1844 of daughters Hannah and Emily where the father is Jacob Derrick and the mother Sarah Pritchett Derrick which led me to think he had married a Sarah Pritchett.  Online trees indicate that he married a Sarah Crane (which could be the maiden name of Sarah Offer) but I couldn't find that marriage either.

Maybe he didn't marry any of the Sarah's and maybe Bridget didn't die and they just separated but I haven't found her elsewhere.

So really I could just do with help in sorting Jacob's marriage activities if anyone is able.

Thanks, Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wives of Jacob Derrick
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 15:57 BST (UK) »
Jacob's son Jacob married a Catherine Offer at St Thomas, Bristol in 1853.

Marriage at Portishead 15 July 1858

Jacob Derrick f/a Widower  labourer of Clapton
s/o Jacob Derrick mason
Sarah Offer f/a Widow of Portishead
d/o Joseph Crane labourer

witnesses: Jane Offer
                Wiliam [-]ary [?]
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 16:10 BST (UK) »
So it appears that Sarah Offer was already a widow when marrying Jacob in 1858 and that her maiden name was Crane - I will follow that through.

Wonder then, if that means that Jacob was unmarried between 1834 the birth of his last child with Bridget and his marriage to Sarah Offer (Crane) in 1858 but was with Sarah as indicated by the birth of children or whether there is another Sarah (Pritchett) in between.

Maybe find Bridget's death as perhaps he wasn't free to marry until 1858.

Thanks for that info - you may have cracked it!

Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 16:39 BST (UK) »
As the mother of Hannah and Emily is shown in the register as Sarah Pritchett, without any suggestion that she and Derek are not married (there is a baptism on the same page of the register as Hannah written in the same hand, which names both parents and records the child as a bastard ) I would think that this Sarah's middle name is Pritchett.  However, 1851 says she was born in Blagdon, and I can't see a likely baptism.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 17:37 BST (UK) »
So could this be a different Sarah then to Sarah Offer née Crane?

It must be actually as Louise Offer is 29 in 1871 so born about 1842 but Jacob Derrick was having children Hannah & Emily in 1842 & 1844 with Sarah Pritchett.  Louise Offer must be the child of Sarah Offer née Crane and presumably her husband unless Jacob was fathering children with two different Sarahs.

This is very confusing.

Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi I have followed Louisa Offer back from 1871 census b Portishead, this in 1841 is the family:-

William Offer 45
Sarah 38
Hannah 10
Thomas 9
Joseph 7
Jane 2
Louisa 4 weeks
Census ref HO107/956/ 8/8 / 8

Baptism 6th June 1841 Portishead

Louisa Offer born 4th May 1841 Father William occ Labourer Mother Sarah

Baptism 17th February 1839 Portishead Jane Offer born 24th January 1839 Father William Mother Sarah

Birth registration Jane Offer March qtr 1839 Bedminster v11 page 79 mmn CRANE
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi again, as you state the last baptism you can find is the James 1834, what of the Daniel Derrick 14th May 1837 Kingston Seymour Father Jacob Mother Bridget?
William in 1841 b 1836 baptism?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 April 18 16:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Keyboard & Galium.

It did all start to come clear yesterday evening and I did find those baptisms to Jacob and Bridget Derrick and even Hannah in 1842 and Mary in 1844.

I cannot find an appropriate Bridget Derrick death though between 1844 and 1851 - at least not in the right vicinity and don't really want to purchase pdf's so will leave hanging for the mo.

Sarah Offer (née Crane) is still having children with her husband William Offer until 1844 and he died Bedminster Q3 1846.

Assuming that it was Bridget still being alive that prevented them from marrying until 1858 then they must have separated presumably as Jacob and Bridget are not together in 1851.

Anyway, have cleared the wood from the trees with your help.

Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 April 18 16:43 BST (UK) »
Having said that had become clear - it hasn't.

The births of William Derrick 1840 and Hannah 1842 according to the gro have the mmn as Carpenter i.e. Bridget Carpenter who married Jacob Derrick in Feb 1823. 

However in the 1841 census Jacob is living with Sarah Derrick with William age 1 also.

Bit of a strange family set up if he is living with Sarah Offer as his wife (although I know relationships aren't given in 1841) but still having children with his wife Bridget in 1842!

Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire