Author Topic: Wives of Jacob Derrick  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Wives of Jacob Derrick
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 April 18 15:12 BST (UK) »
Am still struggling with this!  To recap the evidence I have is:

4/2/1823  Jacob Derrick (minor) marries Bridget Carpenter Blagdon Somerset

1841:(HO107; Piece: 956; Book: 7; ED: 8; Folio: 26; Page: 3)  Jacob Derrick b.c. 1806 in Somerset with his family including Sarah Derrick b.c. 1811 and one year old William for whom GRO says mmn Carpenter.  An 1811 birth for Sarah Derrick makes her a bit young to be mother to the older Derrick children and besides gro states mmn of all recorded children to be Carpenter

1851: (HO107; Piece: 1946; Folio: 514; Page: 1) Jacob Derrick with wife Sarah and some children

15/7/1858  Jacob Derrick wdr marries Sarah Offer widw née Crane Portishead

1851: (HO107: Piece : 1946; Folio:529; Page11)  Sarah Offer née Crane b.c. 1805 living Portishead   family includes daughter Louisa Offer

Q3 1846 William Offer, husband of Sarah Offer née Crane dies

1841: (HO107 Piece 956 Folio 8 Page 8) Sarah Offer b.c. 1803 living with husband William and newborn daughter Lousia.**

Louisa Offer is important as although the daughter of William and Sarah Offer she appears as stepdaughter to Jacob Derrick in 1861, tying in with her mother's marriage to Jacob in 1858.

In summary, Bridget Carpenter marries Jacob Derrick in 1823 and they continue to have children up to 1844 but it is not Bridget living with Jacob on the 1841 census.

Sarah Crane marries William Offer in Bristol, Glos on 31/7/1825 and has children with him until his death in 1846.  They are together in the 1841 census and she is alone and a widow in the 1851 census.

So my questions are these:

Who is the Sarah with Jacob Derrick in 1841 & 1851 who presumably had maiden name Carpenter? She appears to be about 10 years older than Bridget.
Was Bridget known as Sarah? but what about the age discrepancy
When and where did Bridget die? perhaps before registration began in 1837 and did Jacob then hook up with a Sarah Carpenter prior to marrying Sarah Offer née Crane in 1858.

If anybody can help in answering these questions I would be most grateful.  I feel as if the answers are there if only I could discern the wood from the trees!

Thanks, Pheno

** The 1841 for Sarah Offer is Folio 8 Page 8 but it seems to be converting the second 8 into a symbol for some reason!
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 April 18 15:26 BST (UK) »
Death registered in Bedminster district March Q 1857 of Sarah Pritchard Derrick, aged 56. 
This would suggest a birth year  c1801. 
Bridget's parents, John and Sarah, don't seem to have baptised any other children at Blagdon apart from Bridget in 1801.  I can't see a likely Carpenter ~ Pritchett/Pritchard marriage in Somerset around the late 1700s/early 1800s.

I am tempted to think that  perhaps there has been a little confusion surrounding Bridget's name, and that maybe she  decided that she would be called Sarah Bridget. I notice that neither she nor Jacob signed their names upon their marriage, so if the parish clerk/s who later recorded her name interpreted what was said to them as Pritchett/Pritchard, there was nobody to correct that.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 April 18 19:55 BST (UK) »
Yes thanks Galium.  I have concluded that this was one and the same person, christened Bridget, became known as Sarah Bridget which on some occasions - baptisms and death - was recorded as Sarah Pritchett/Pritchard.  Assuming she was illiterate as she did not sign her name would probably mean that this would not have been noticed and corrected.

Thanks for your help.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire