Author Topic: Tracing past Scotland to Ireland  (Read 5899 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing past Scotland to Ireland
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 12 April 18 02:07 BST (UK) »
I looked for Crossgrove on Griffiths' Valuation. Hardly any.
Cosgrave/Cosgrove over 1000 mentions.
There were plenty of Cosgrave/Cosgrove in most of the 9 Ulster counties except Donegal which had none and Derry where there were very few.

Cowban

Offline Kirsty Edwards

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 12 April 18 03:17 BST (UK) »
I looked for Crossgrove on Griffiths' Valuation. Hardly any.
Cosgrave/Cosgrove over 1000 mentions.
There were plenty of Cosgrave/Cosgrove in most of the 9 Ulster counties except Donegal which had none and Derry where there were very few.

Thank you very much

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 12 April 18 06:58 BST (UK) »
Church records pre 1855 are on Scotland's people.

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/guides/church-registers

Is it paying for the record? Oh and Church of Scotland! so, Protestant and Presbyterian in Ireland ?

As they weren't RC  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lw3/   gets you locations for Crossgrove registrations up to 1864

Belfast 3
Downpatrick 2
Limerick 1

I know too late for yours!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 12 April 18 16:14 BST (UK) »
I can't find David & Maria's marriage - I assume they married in Ireland

They may have married in Scotland or Ireland. As eldest known child, James, was born in Scotland, the marriage may have been in Scotland.
Be flexible with spelling of both surnames when searching. Broadley might have been spelled Broadlie or Bradley or some other way.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 12 April 18 16:58 BST (UK) »
Just noticed discrepancies in Maria's estimated year of birth.
1851 census   age 47, estimated YOB 1804
1861 census   age 55,  estimated YOB   1806 (2 of daughters' ages also 2 years out compared with 1851)
1891 census   age 87,  estimated YOB 1804
1899 death certificate age 87 giving estimated YOB 1812.
David's ages remained consistent.

Taking into account ages of children, if YOB was c1804-6 then she was in her early 40s when youngest son Thomas was born. She would have been over 90 when she died. If YOB c1812 was correct she was in her mid teens when James was born and a lot younger than her husband. Consider possibility of her being 2nd wife and not mother of elder children. We know she was mother of Jane/Jean, baptised 1834; we don't know if she was mother of previous children. I suggest widening search for marriage later to 1834.
Cowban

Offline Kirsty Edwards

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 16:26 BST (UK) »
Just noticed discrepancies in Maria's estimated year of birth.
1851 census   age 47, estimated YOB 1804
1861 census   age 55,  estimated YOB   1806 (2 of daughters' ages also 2 years out compared with 1851)
1891 census   age 87,  estimated YOB 1804
1899 death certificate age 87 giving estimated YOB 1812.
David's ages remained consistent.

Taking into account ages of children, if YOB was c1804-6 then she was in her early 40s when youngest son Thomas was born. She would have been over 90 when she died. If YOB c1812 was correct she was in her mid teens when James was born and a lot younger than her husband. Consider possibility of her being 2nd wife and not mother of elder children. We know she was mother of Jane/Jean, baptised 1834; we don't know if she was mother of previous children. I suggest widening search for marriage later to 1834.

That's interesting...

I've just looked up the death certificates for older children Mary Jane b. 1829 & Elizabeth b. 1831 they both list Maria as their mother. Interestingly, on Elizabeth's DC her parents are listed as Crosgrove NOT Crossgrove... not sure if this is just a spelling mistake as on Mary Jane's its Crossgrove

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 22:59 BST (UK) »
One 's' missing from the surname is irrelevant - it's still the same surname.  :)

Offline Kirsty Edwards

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 23:50 BST (UK) »
Another interesting turn of events,

I purchased Thomas DC (youngest child) and it appears his mother is not Maria but Elizabeth (maiden name absent). It does not say he is illegitimate, nor does it say on David's DC that he remarried - Maria outlived him too.

This is odd, as David's mother is also Elizabeth with her maiden also missing.

I think I'm missing here but can't join the odds.

Thomas is listed as David's son in the census but could he infact he David's much younger brother? David's father was a farmer though not a weaver - perhaps he was both...

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 00:16 BST (UK) »
Another interesting turn of events,

I purchased Thomas DC (youngest child) and it appears his mother is not Maria but Elizabeth (maiden name absent). It does not say he is illegitimate, nor does it say on David's DC that he remarried - Maria outlived him too.

This is odd, as David's mother is also Elizabeth with her maiden also missing.

I think I'm missing here but can't join the odds.

Thomas is listed as David's son in the census but could he infact he David's much younger brother? David's father was a farmer though not a weaver - perhaps he was both...
Who was named as father on Thomas' birth certificate? The mother Elizabeth may have been David & Maria's daughter Elizabeth. According to a census on which Elizabeth and Thomas appear together she was about 15 years older than him. He might have been brought up as David & Maria's son and may even have believed he was their son.
Farmers and weavers. When weaving was a cottage industry before it moved into factories, some men would be farmers and weavers. Weaving was done in winter when there was less work on the farm. Wife and children would help.
Cowban