Author Topic: no father on birth cert  (Read 965 times)

Offline Katie Hiscock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
no father on birth cert
« on: Wednesday 11 April 18 17:03 BST (UK) »
just a quickie guys

when a daughter will marry for example, what will they write on their marriage cert, if no father is listed on a birth cert ?????

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: no father on birth cert
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

Could be a range of options ~

Blank (usually a line)
A made up name
Maybe a relative or step father

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 17:14 BST (UK) »
These instructions to the Clergy were issued in 1901 but I'm sure they applied before then.
Persons of Illegitimate Birth are sometimes unwilling or unable to state the Name and the Rank or Profession of their Fathers. If, on these Particulars being asked for, there be any hesitation or reluctance to state them, no further inquiry need be made, and Columns 7 and 8 may be left blank; lines in ink should be drawn through the blank spaces.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 17:14 BST (UK) »
As an example from my own history,  my grandfather and his sister were both illegitimate. On my grandfather's marriage cert, he gave his own name and a fictitious occupation. His sister gave the name of their grandfather. These were circa 1900.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 17:51 BST (UK) »
Whatever the bride/groom say .... fathers details are not checked in any way (even today).

Currently it is acceptable for them to give their biological father, an adoptive father or a step-father (if married to the mother) , or nothing at all.

You would be surprised how many bride/grooms elect not to have their father shown on the marriage register, even though his details are well known to them.  It is also very common for them to have to go and ask dad (or mum) for their full name and occupation on the day of the wedding, so not surprising many seem to be "wrong" !

Offline Katie Hiscock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 19:10 BST (UK) »
thank you guys

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 19:13 BST (UK) »
If a mum married someone soon after the babies birth and that child only knew him as her dad,she may well say that WAS her dad,as he's the only one she had ever known.

Regardless of what it says on her birth cert.......or not!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 19:23 BST (UK) »
As others have given known examples, I'll toss one in.

My gt-gt-grandmother's husband died in 1878, leaving her with five children; she then had two further children,  1880 and 1882.

When the one born in 1882 got married, she put her mother's dead husband's name as her father and his profession, even though he'd been dead 4 years when she was born.

As has been said - depending on what you were told, what you know, what you think, who is asking, how they are asking, who can hear your answer, how "fearful" you are etc etc .... the name can be anything at all, for any reason.

Maybe the 1882 girl never knew/did the maths to realise, or maybe she was embarrassed as she was marrying "a bit of a steady catch".

We don't know what people were told when they were growing up.... or what they invented for themselves.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 19:45 BST (UK) »
As others have given known examples, I'll toss one in.

My gt-gt-grandmother's husband died in 1878, leaving her with five children; she then had two further children,  1880 and 1882.

When the one born in 1882 got married, she put her mother's dead husband's name as her father and his profession, even though he'd been dead 4 years when she was born.

Maybe the 1882 girl never knew/did the maths to realise, or maybe she was embarrassed as she was marrying "a bit of a steady catch".

We don't know what people were told when they were growing up.... or what they invented for themselves.
I have one very similar. There was no father's name on the girl's birth certificate. I don't know when her mother's husband died. When the child was 3 or 4 her mother married again as a widow.
Cowban