Author Topic: coincidence?  (Read 1441 times)

Offline islayhawk

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
coincidence?
« on: Wednesday 11 April 18 18:23 BST (UK) »
Researching my gggrandmother Margaret McGonigle (various spellings) I find she had a Brother called George. He Married Janet Fox - they had a Daughter Janet. George died in 1890 in Paisley.
In 1907 in Paisley in 1907 I find a Janet Fox McGinigle born to  George McGinigle and Mary McGinigle m/s Reid.
Coincidence ??

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: coincidence?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 18:33 BST (UK) »
Highly unlikely to be a coincidence.

George McGinigle and Mary Reid were married in Paisley in 1901. The marriage certificate will tell you the full names of both sets of parents including the mothers' maiden surnames.

There is a McGinigle family in Paisley in 1911 consisting of George, 32; Mary, 30; Anda, 7; Janet, 3 and Elizabeth, 1.

In 1901 there are Janet, 45; Daniel, 25; George, 22 and Janet, 14.

I don't see them in 1891 but in 1881 they are McGonnigle and there are George, 30; Mrs J, 27; Daniel, 6; John, 4 and George 2.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline islayhawk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 21:59 BST (UK) »
But I cannot find any connecton to my Family. The only connection is the name. The Father of Janet Fox McGonigle is not (as far as I know) connected to my Family. George MacGonigle - my GGGrandmothers Brother died years before she was born.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 22:07 BST (UK) »
Researching my gggrandmother Margaret McGonigle (various spellings) I find she had a Brother called George. He Married Janet Fox - they had a Daughter Janet. George died in 1890 in Paisley.

You don't give any birthdates here to help with the problem.

In 1907 in Paisley in 1907 I find a Janet Fox McGinigle born to  George McGinigle and Mary McGinigle m/s Reid.

Re: the 1911 entry - birthdate approx 1879 so could this George be the son of the George who died in 1890?

As Forfarian says -  downloading the marriage cert to compare parents names will give you the answer
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 22:46 BST (UK) »
Re: the 1911 entry - birthdate approx 1879 so could this George be the son of the George who died in 1890?
That is exactly what I was thinking.

The George McG who was 30 in the 1881 census is obviously the one who died in 1890, but he had a two-year-old son in 1881 who exactly matches the one who was 32 in 1911.

So I think that Janet Fox McG is a granddaughter of George McG and Janet Fox, and I have pointed you at the evidence which will prove or disprove it, that is, the marriage certificate of George McG and Mary Reid.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline islayhawk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 23:59 BST (UK) »
It makes sense reading what you have pointed out. The only two birth certificates I have so far is for Janet McGonigle and John McGonigle - the latter being Baptised in St Mirrens and Marriage certificate for the parents George McGonigle and Janet Fox which  shows them married in St Mirrens.
So what looked like a coincidence is now looking more like a probabilty

Offline islayhawk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 April 18 16:34 BST (UK) »
The information and pointers supplied by you kind and helpful people made sense. When I downloaded the appropriate certificates it all fits and another branch if the tree has started. Thankyou all

Offline islayhawk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 April 18 07:17 BST (UK) »
After getting advice and help I found the records of  many family members. However! I cannot find any record of my GGgrandfather Alexander McGonigle.. His wife letitia death certificate shows her dying a widow in 1873. I cannot find him on any census records.
Any advice

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 April 18 09:08 BST (UK) »
Alexander McGonigal, 42, railway platelayer, born Ireland, is in the 1851 census in Paisley with wife Lettice, 38, born Ireland, three children born in Ireland and five born in Paisley. (Transcription at https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl)

Latecia McGonigle, 49, is in Paisley in 1861 with five of her children. In 1871 Lettia McGunigall is still in Paisley (Abbey) with three of them, and indexed as aged 50.

Look at the original of the 1861 census on Scotland's People and see if it says that she was a widow. If so, you know that you are looking for a death between 1851 and 1861.

There is no matching death in the Scotland's People index between 1855 and 1861. Barring errors, this means either that Alexander died before the start of statutory civil registration on 1 January 1855, or he died outside Scotland. There isn't a possible match on FreeBMD https://www.freebmd.org.uk/search so it looks as if he didn't die in England or Wales either.

If I were you I would contact the council in Paisley and ask if there is any record of his burial.

One other thought: If he died before 1855, he was still fairly young. Could he have died as a result of an accident? If so there might be a report in one of the local newspapers.