Author Topic: Unable to get Email. Asked to give new password.  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Lookin2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Unable to get Email. Asked to give new password.
« on: Wednesday 11 April 18 18:39 BST (UK) »
My Email .  A new window appeared with all info except Password.  I am asked to fill in.  I cannot see any of my previous emails.  Can anyone give me a clue as to what is happening.

I also wonder if I will be able to receive any emails.  Lookin2
Howlett, Brown, Woodroofe, Mills, Battey, Woods

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to get Email. Asked to give new password.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 19:16 BST (UK) »
What Mail Program are you using?

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Lookin2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hallmark

I am using Gmail and AOL thru Verizon.  I cannot see my old Emails and received a drop down window (presume Gmail) asking to complete window. Lookin2

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 22:37 BST (UK) »
I'm not familiar with Verizon, but some email providers occasionally ask you to re-enter your password as a security measure.

Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 22:40 BST (UK) »
Can you go to a Library and try logging into Gmail there?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 April 18 12:19 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure whether you're just using Verizon webmail or via an e-mail program (like Windows 10 "Mail") on a desktop/laptop. In both cases, the most likely problem and solution are (probably) the same.

Since you're unable to read any e-mails, the most likely source of the problem is with Verizon (rather than with GMail or AOL). If it - for example only a problem with GMail, then you would be able to see your AOL e-mails).

The most likely cause is that either your e-mail program (or webmail) has 'forgotten' your Verizon Login details (e-mail/password) or that Verizon has requested that you change your password (for security reasons) so that the previous 'remembered' password doesn't work any more. In both cases, your e-mail program (or webmail) just keep trying to log in to your Verizon account with a Login e-mail and password that isn't (longer) valid. That's probably why you keep getting asked for a different password.

It's possible that there are other causes but this is the most likely one and the one to check first.
The first step is to check that you have a password that you know and with which you can log into Verizon webmail directly through your browser. It's possible that the password you remember doesn't work or that you've forgotten it. In both cases, click on "forgot password" to reset it.

The second step is to update the 'remembered' password in your e-mail program or webmail. Usually if you type in the right password when next asked, your e-mail program or webmail 'remembers' this (you may need to tick a 'rembember this" box) and things usually get back to normal. If you use an e-mail program on your desktop, you'll need to update the password there (under account settings) to the one that works in webmail.

It's possible that there are other (more technical) causes but this is the most likely one. At least it's happened to me from time to time.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline Lookin2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 April 18 15:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your suggestions.  A new password did the trick and I now have all of my EMail back.

Lookin2