Author Topic: Dutch Infantry  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Nicola Agricola

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dutch Infantry
« on: Wednesday 11 April 18 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi.  If I've correctly translated from my great-great grandfather's birth certificate, in 1832, his father, (Hermannus Julsing), was a Sergeant of the First Company, Third Battalion, eighth section of the Infantry, stationed at the barracks at Groningen in the Netherlands.  However, according to family legend, Hermannus and his son were both Prussian.  Is there anyone who is able to tell me whether this battalion was Dutch or Prussian, and whether relevant military records still exist

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dutch Infantry
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 April 18 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Nicola,

Assuming that the birth record of 1832 is in Dutch and that Hermannus' son was born in Groningen, then it would seem that they were both Dutch. Furthermore, Hermannus Jusling is a Dutch, not a German, name.

Groningen is (and was) well inside the borders of the Netherlands (or Dutch Republic as it as), and had never been under "German" or Prussian control.

The German territories bordering the Netherlands did not become Prussian until 1871. Prussia itself existed long before that, but was much further to the east.

It would be useful to see the birth certificate, and can you elaborate on the family story.

Justin

Offline Nicola Agricola

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 April 18 11:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Justin.
My grandmother's grandfather was Petrus Hermann Julsing.  She always claimed that he was Prussian/German, a cause of some shame and embarrassment to the family during WW1.  He became a professional musician, and was a member of the Court Opera Orchestra in Berlin, according to my grandmother and her sister. 
My research showed that Petrus was born in Maastricht in April 1832.  His father, Harmannus, registered the birth, and was from Groningen. 
Petrus emigrated to England in 1856.  The 1861 census states that he was born in Holland, but the 1871 census states "Germany:  Naturalised British".  On Petrus' Marriage Certificate, his father, Harmannus is a Sergeant Major.  You're almost certainly correct in saying that this was in the Dutch Infantry, but you can understand my confusion!  Do you happen to know if there are any Dutch military records available?

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 April 18 11:30 BST (UK) »
No Regiment given? Section seems a bit too detailed. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Nicola Agricola

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 April 18 12:05 BST (UK) »
Apologies.  At the time (1832) of his son's birth, Harmannus Julsing was a Sergeant in the 1st Company, 3rd Battalion, 8th Section of the Infantry, based at the barracks in Groningen.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 April 18 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicola,

I can understand your confusion. I hope someone along the line did not mix up Dutch and Deutsch.

It would be very useful to see the Dutch original, or at least a transcript. Have you translated Afdeling as "section"? The correct translation would be "division". As far as I can make out, several of the 18 divisions that existed in 1830, were disbanded, while others were renamed regiments.

See here http://www.gahetna.nl/collectie/archief/ead/index/eadid/2.13.09/node/c01%3A0.c02%3A5.#c01:0.c02:3.

In Dutch:
8e Afdeling Infanterie (1819),
8e Regiment Infanterie (1841). De 8e Afdeling Infanterie was samengesteld uit:
9e Bataljon Infanterie van Linie, 1e, 2e en 3e Bataljon Infanterie Nationale Militie (manschappen hoofdzakelijk afkomstig uit de provincies Friesland, Groningen en Drenthe). Het 9e Bataljon Infanterie van Linie bevatte personeel van het vroeger opgeheven 4e Bataljon Infanterie van Linie, dat op zijn beurt weer personeel bevatte van het eerder opgeheven 12e Bataljon Infanterie van Linie. In 1843 werd bij dit Regiment ingedeeld het 2e Bataljon van het in dat jaar opgeheven 9e Regiment Infanterie.

In English:
8th Infantry Division (1819),
8th Regiment Infantry (1841). The 8th Infantry Division was composed of:
9th Battalion Infantry of Line, 1st, 2nd and 3rd Battalion Infantry National Militia (men mainly from the provinces of Friesland, Groningen and Drenthe). The 9th Infantry Battalion of Linie contained personnel from the formerly raised 4th Infantry Battalion of Linie, which in turn contained personnel from the previously abolished 12th Infantry Battalion of Linie. In 1843, the 2nd Battalion of the 9th Infantry Regiment, which was abolished in that year, was assigned to this Regiment.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 April 18 17:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you JustinL, that explains it.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 April 18 18:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks to the Mormons, you will be able to browse through the Stamboeken (regimental rolls) of the 8th Infantry Regiment from the comfort of your armchair :)

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GY1F-5Z5?owc=M6K5-F38%3A64368201%3Fcc%3D1498335&wc=M6KR-63F%3A64368201%2C64622101&cc=1498335

Unfortunately, there are one or two gaps, but the coverage is pretty good for the period from 1814 to 1830.

Offline Nicola Agricola

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 April 18 23:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, Justin.  That's a really great help, and will hopefully lead to a major breakthrough.  I realise that you're correct about it being the 8th division, and not section.  As I don't speak any Dutch, I'm reliant on Google translate.