Author Topic: "WILLIAM MORLEY"(Father and Son)(ROYAL Navy and MERCHANT Navy) born England.  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Carole147

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
     I am trying to find out when and where my paternal Gt Grandparent & paternal Gt Gt Grandfather (both called William Morley) were born and died, also any other information about them, would be great.
       Correct information I have is: Jane Reid Morley(my paternal grandmother)b.1880 Govan, d. 1953 Belfast. On Janes birth certificate, her father William Morley (was Seaman in Merchant Navy Service & from England) & her mother was Ann Reid.(Ann was b.abt 1849 Auchenairn. Glasgow)
        On William Morley and Anns marriage certificate in 1875 at Tradeston, Williams age is 21(mkg his d.of b abt 1854/55) & he is the son of William Morley(Royal Navy)deceased & Sarah Morley(maiden surname, Cook)deceased.
       Any information about my paternal Gt grandfather, William Morley (from the Merchant navy) and his father, also called William Morley (from the Royal navy) would be great, many thanks for your help

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "WILLIAM MORLEY"(Father and Son)(ROYAL Navy and MERCHANT Navy) born England.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 April 18 01:27 BST (UK) »
A William Harry Morley was born Sept.qtr. 1854 Portsea, bp.27/5/1855 St. Mary's, Portsea, Hampshire son of William Morley and wife Sarah Ann.

William Morley, seaman of HMS Excellent, 28, son of William Morley, labourer married 5/11/1852 Portsea, St. Mary to Sarah Ann Cook, 31, of Garden Lane, dau. of James Cook, carpenter.  Witnesses Elizabeth Smith and W Hatch.      Both single.

On 1901 Scottish Census William and Ann are in Govan and he's listed with full name of William Harry Morley.

So, that correctly identifies William b.1854 (full name William Harry Morley) Portsea, Hampshire whose parents were indeed a William and Sarah, plus when married in 1852 William was in the Royal Navy serving on HMS Excellent.

The bad news is I cannot find any of the 3 on census 1851 to 1871 so have no idea where William and Sarah were born.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "WILLIAM MORLEY"(Father and Son)(ROYAL Navy and MERCHANT Navy) born England.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 April 18 05:11 BST (UK) »
On the '91 Census a William Morley, born Portsmouth, age 36, ship rigger, wife Ann and 5 children, (inc Jane), all born Scotland are in South Wales at 45 Castleland Pl., Cadoxton juxta Barry.
census ref RG 12  4406  92  23

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 April 18 05:37 BST (UK) »
Royal Navy Allotment Declarations

FindMyPast has 2 allotment records (Mar & July 1847) for a William Morley, AB - his allotment to be paid to his mother Anne, address 6/7 Nile Street, Landsport, Portsea.

Vessel - "Excellent"

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 April 18 06:35 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast baptisms (transcription/image)

William Morley, baptized 24 Jan 1825, abode Rowner, church St.Mary the Virgin, parents William, occpn. labourer and Anne.

Offline Carole147

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 April 18 12:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you both Annette & Hanes Teulu for your help which has been invaluable & is very much appreciated.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 April 18 13:08 BST (UK) »
" Correct information I have is: Jane Reid Morley(my paternal grandmother)b.1880 Govan, d. 1953 Belfast. On Janes birth certificate, her father William Morley (was Seaman in Merchant Navy Service & from England) & her mother was Ann Reid.(Ann was b.abt 1849 Auchenairn. Glasgow)"
No central source of Merchant Navy personal records were kept between 1857 and 1913. The personal records for the period of the First World War have been destroyed.
Your only source is to look at Crew Agreements for this period. FindMyPast has a small selection but far from complete.  All the available 1881 Crew Agreements are available from here again incomplete.
http://www.mun.ca/mha/1881/crews1881.php
There are nine William Morley' listed. The Crew Cgreements gives the age of the person so you maybes can find a connection.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Carole147

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 April 18 15:33 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Seaweed for link sent, though I have looked at the crew agreements, age & birthplace of the nine William Morley' listed, unfortunately have not been able to find the connection.